Goodbye Jesus

Bible As An Idol

HoustonHorn

Had this cross my mind this morning. Why isn't the Bible considered an idol? By taking it at its word, you are basing belief in a book rather than what God is telling you. Even if you do accept that the Bible is the word of God, it is still not God (although I think the Koran is closer). On the assumption that God is talking to you, shouldn't you take what He says over what He inspired to be written? And for that matter, if He controls everything, didn't he indirectly inspire all books?

yeah theres definitely a problem there...i liken it to some nasty circular logic. "thats not biblical therefore its not true," and yet everyone arbitrarily interprets the book, which is assumed from the beginning to be legit. :Doh:

I'd say it was an idol for protestants. I used to say so when I was a protestant preacher. I preached a couple of sermons on it too, though I didn't use the word idol. I needed the job you see.

yeah theres definitely a problem there...i liken it to some nasty circular logic. "thats not biblical therefore its not true," and yet everyone arbitrarily interprets the book, which is assumed from the beginning to be legit. :Doh:

People definetly treat the bible as an idol. I got yelled at for putting on the floor, putting things on top of it not bringing it to service. It's just a book!!!!!

People definetly treat the bible as an idol. I got yelled at for putting on the floor, putting things on top of it not bringing it to service. It's just a book!!!!!

my old nondenom church didnt think a bible was physically sacred like that...although I've heard of more charismatic churches being as hardcore as you describe. :ugh:

Now imagine the same believers' reactions if they'd meet me, and hear that all bibles at my place are to be found in a cardboard box with the words "enemy propaganda" written on it, along with "Mein Kampf"... :scratch:

Kind of reminds me of what one of my fellow German Asatruar once reported. She sent her sons to a school where a religion teacher misunderstood his task (deliberately? Take a guess...) and asked all his students to bring "the good book" to school next lesson. She wondered how she should pay back that teacher's arrogance... should she give her son a copy of the Poetic Edda? The Bhagavadgita? Or what else?

She finally decided to have hear son bring along nothing at all. When asked by a pissed-off teacher, he then said "My mom said that she wouldn't take the holy book out of its glass showcase with golden trim just so that one teacher who is not at least a cardinal can see that we own one".

She didn't report what face the teacher made then. :fdevil:

i used to say that all the time! i would tell xtians that to put so much belief into A BOOK is a form of idolatry. one can also argue that it is a "graven image" as well. after all, written languages are visual symbols that depict speech and thought. the bible are drawn visual symbols that we are able to interpret just like a picture.