Goodbye Jesus

Powerful Website For Deconverting Christians

integral

Well, I'm not questioning anymore now, but it would've helped me if I had been. Definitely a good resource.

Very nice site, but the xians that i know would probably refuse to read this type of thing.

Very nice site, but the xians that i know would probably refuse to read this type of thing.

I don't know . . . sometimes if you put it in "their" language, they'll be open to listen to the argument. The title of the website doesn't challenge God's ability to heal, but probably speaks to a hidden question that some of them have had "nagging" them awhile -- since obvious physical deformities are never paraded in Penty-charismatic churches or on TBN. Another one should be "Why God doesn't heal Thalidamide Babies"

Recently, an "on-fire" charismatic friend told me about how she was eagerly awaiting the release of The DiVinci Code . After I squelched my immediate impulse to spew Coca-cola through my nostrils, I played along. She was actually okay with the premise that the dark evil Catholic church may have "tainted" the Bible, as long as her belief in Christ wasn't challenged, and the book never does that. She said she was also fearful that the book would make him out to be a fornicating adulterer, so when she finally read it and saw that it portrayed Christ as a loving husband and father, she was further won over. She realizes that it won't be popular among her fellow tongue-talkers, but she liked the book and awaits the movie -- all while speaking in tongues and believing in faith-healing.

For all the utter garbage it is, Da Vinci might be a clever attempt at doing the above site mentioned -- challenge Christian faith without overtly doing so.

The site makes me think of this one. I loved reading this one when I had just deconverted:

http://www.freethoughtfirefighters.com/

It looks completely different now from back then. I'm not sure all articles are still there.

Ah, this is the link to the old site:

http://freethoughtfirefighters.org/index2.html

-edit-

This is the article I read and made huge impact:

Just one child

yeeeeup. it's a good site. we have frequently referenced that site in other threads. if you wanna know more great sites, we've started to compile a list of em in this thread:

http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?showtopic=7771

For all the utter garbage it is, Da Vinci might be a clever attempt at doing the above site mentioned -- challenge Christian faith without overtly doing so.

Garbage? Come on! That was a great book! If you want to look at it as if it's trying to claim it's the truth, then yes, it's garbage. But it's NOT! It's a work of fiction! He did a great job of researching all that information and weaving it into an intriguing story!

I enjoyed the DaVinci Code and thought it was a good read. Also note that it's marketed as fiction, not truth -- something the Bible should have been from the beginning. Or at least, the Bible should've been sold as general philosophy.

Guest stickmangrit

let's not mince words here folks, The DaVinci Code was at best a mediocre book. a well worn, paper thin cliche of a plot with a "big controversial twist" that gave it it's noteriety. if it hadn't claimed Jesus was full of it, we wouldn't be talking about Dan Brown at all right now. American Gods was a great book. Farenhieht 451 was a great book. Cryptonomicon was a great book. DaVinci code was crap.

This site has been blowing my mind--hands down, the best resource that I've come across for deconverting christians.

http://www.whydoesgodhateamputees.com/

thank you, thank you, thank you. i am posting this on a theist-athiest debate forum i frequent. i'll report back later with the results.

It's a nice website which raises a very valid point IMO. However, I would guess the hard-core Chrisitians will respond with an inevitable: "God is all knowing, how can you question his ways?"

The more knowledgable apologetic will counter with: "God has no obligation to heal anyone, God created us and has the right to do as he wishes". They'll also use this to counter any argument that God acted immoraly in his atrocities.

Yes, if you take the position that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with harming someone, except for the fact that God forbis US to do it, and you take away any sense that God ought to be nice to his creation, if you do away with omnibenevlonce- you will take care of alot of the objections to Christianity. But that's hardly much of a religion you have left there in that case. And if it wasn't the more of a righteous action to send Jesus then not to send Jesus, it'd make you wonder why god bothered to send Jesus in the first place.

This site has been blowing my mind--hands down, the best resource that I've come across for deconverting christians.

http://www.whydoesgodhateamputees.com/

I first heard this question years ago. It still holds weight. I put this site in my Links section. Thanks!

I like this site a lot. Three of my favorite articles in it are:

Understanding delusion

Understanding God's Plan

Why do battlefield prayers sound so convincing?

I have never found a Christian who can answer the question "Why won't God heal amputees?" beyond saying something like, "It is not God's will" or "We have no way to understand God." Yet, despite the obvious problem that this question creates, they maintain their delusion.

Another explanation (Word of Faith movement) "You don't have enough faith."

That is an excellent site.

The great thing is the way it lays out the information in a logical and compelling way. It makes you THINK-- for example, why things are the way they are (i.e. healings, miracles, tragedies, etc.) become MYSTERIES to the Christian, but make PERFECT SENSE if there is no BibleGod.

• 3 months later...

Was going to start a new thread, am just reading this site now; figured it was already mentioned here at some point. I found it through the youtube videos posted, there's also http://www.godisimaginary.com ... good videos on those sites, too.