Goodbye Jesus

your favorite quotations?

alreadyGone

Members here come from varied lives and backgrounds.

I'm interested in hearing quotes from those with whom you've found agreement or wisdom.

Religion, or reality, or life in general..

"People often think they're thinking when what they are really doing is re-arranging their prejudices."
 - William James

• Like 1

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

This one is a long quote but one of my favorites.

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known." Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

• Like 1

"The search for truth takes you where the evidence leads you, even if, at first, you don't want to go there."

~Bart D. Ehrman

• Like 3

Not really a quote, but its the first thing that comes to mind:

"If you want to be somebody else, change your mind." ~ Sister Hazel

• Like 1

It's easy to sign the back of a payroll check, try signing the front.
-Peter Schiff

Most men's conscience, habits, and opinions are borrowed from convention and gather continually comforting assurances from the same social consensus that originally suggested them.
-George Sanatayana

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

IMG_20210107_181654_783.jpg

• Like 1

"Be the kind of person who takes the initiative to doubt the default and look for a better option. Open yourself up to the opposite of déjà vu. It's when you look at something you've seen many times before and suddenly see it with fresh eyes"

-Adam Grant

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I've never been very wise.

I should learn.

• Super Moderator
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

- Mark Twain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Super Moderator
28 minutes ago, alreadyGone said:

I've never been very wise.

I should learn.

• Haha 1

"Never give to your friend any power your enemy may some day inherit."

- Paul Weyrich

• Like 1

“The master in the art of living makes little distinction between... work and play”
L. P. Jacks

• Like 1

Robert G. Ingersoll

In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences.

Give to every human being every right that you claim for yourself.

The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart.

Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.

Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.

In the night of death, hope sees a star, and listening love can hear the rustle of a wing.

Hope is the only bee that makes honey without flowers.

An honest God is the noblest work of man.

What light is to the eyes - what air is to the lungs - what love is to the heart, liberty is to the soul of man.

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery.

12 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

IMG_20210107_181654_783.jpg

This ^^^^^

In so many situations.....

Re-Create Yourself

Do not accept the roles that society foists on you. Re-create yourself by forging a new identity, one that commands attention and never bores the audience. Be the master of your own image rather than letting others define if for you. Incorporate dramatic devices into your public gestures and actions – your power will be enhanced and your character will seem larger than life.”
 Robert Greene, The 48 Laws of Power

"Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive."        -Andy Grove

• Super Moderator

"They say ignorance is bliss; but I wouldn't know."  ~John Kluttz

"A diamond ain't nothing but a lump of coal that stuck with it."  ~Brother Dave Gardner

• Like 1

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up."

- Lily Tomlin

• Haha 1

This on is as short as my first one was long. However it manages to express and convey information that everyone understands. It's also a root word from which one can build an entire sentence from that is totally coherent.

"Fuck" (As said by Geralt of Rivia)

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, LogicalFallacy said:

This on is as short as my first one was long. However it manages to express and convey information that everyone understands. It's also a root word from which one can build an entire sentence from that is totally coherent.

"Fuck" (As said by Geralt of Rivia)

Puts me in mind of 'Shakes the Clown' when he said, "Fuckin' people!" (I highly recommend this movie for you weird bastards.)

“To be is to do”—Aristotle

“To do is to be”—Kant

“Do be do be do”—Sinatra

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

It amazes me that people can look at the sky and think "Wow the universe is so amazing!, but then look in the mirror and think "Ugh!", As if the universe did not create both. ~ Unknown

We must engage in social activism while understanding the reasons for taking action. We must discern the differences between science and belief. - Laura E. Skandera Trombley

I know you soul is not tainted, even though you've been told so. ~ Papa Emeritus III

This is a well known quote but one I refer to often:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." ~ T. Roosevelt

"It's not so much staying alive, it's staying human that's important. What counts is that we don't betray each other."

-- George Orwell