Goodbye Jesus

Trends?

garrisonjj

Do you see an increase in agnostic/atheist thinking? As a former Catholic,,,i always viewed "the faithful" as blind sheep afraid of fucking hell,,,myself included.They go and listen and participate,,,but I feel most there don't really believe it,,,they just want to be on the safe side.

My religion is a strong cultural aspect of Slovak traditions which really are quite beautiful. I'd never want to lose this aspect of my religion.I always viewed the Protestants as mindless dissenters.

Now,i am seeing christianity as a collection of borrowed myths,used to control the masses over centuries. the internet will help get the"word" out. Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks, gary

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

Let's hear about your beautiful traditional slovak religion. I'm curious why it's so beautiful and christianity isn't.

Garrison--There probably is an increase, though the figures still aren't too large. I believe there are a lot of doubters in the church itself, who may or may not leave at some point. They may enjoy the social/cultural aspects of religion, whether they believe in the spiritual teachings or not.

Let's hear about your beautiful traditional slovak religion. I'm curious why it's so beautiful and christianity isn't.

Perhaps Garrison is refering to the ritual, which can be attractive to many. I had been taught by conservative protestantism that the Catholic and other liturgical churches had a lot of pagan influence in them, thus lots of ritual. For a short while, after leaving my "home" church, I attended a liberal Methodist church, and they followed a liturgical order of service, though not as fancy and flashy as Roman Catholic, Orthodox, etc. I thought it produced a certain flow, or rhythm that was lacking in the sermon-droning services of evangelicalism. I didn't continue attending, because I still felt I had moved beyond Christian belief, and would not join in a church membership where you had to recite a creed. But if I had continued in Christianity, I would have sought out a denomination with that type of service.

Man does tend to be a ritualistic creature. Do atheists/agnostics satisfy the need for ritual in a different way, or don't they feel it it a need? Could this desire for ritual be behind the drive for religion?

Exactly.

And that is the thought that started me on deconversion. It's like, "Shit, does god really love me or am I doing this for the insurance benefits?"