Goodbye Jesus

What Started Your Deconversion?

HoustonHorn

I don't remember exactly when it started but college really challenged what I believed. I had read a few books on creationism but it never really stilled the doubts inside of me. My biology classes really had the biggest influence all in all. I had so much misconceptions and lies about life and evolution in general but I finally made some sense out if when it got explained by people who actually knew what they were talking about! By the end of the spring of 2003 I was getting uncomfortable with christianity and I started seeking some answers. So for a year I grew farther and farther away from christianity until the summer of 2004. I spent 3 weeks camping around the country with a group of very diverse and liberal non-christian which really broadened my horizon. Also while I was away on that trip my grandfather died. :(:( It was the first death of someone close to me I experienced and it really shocked me and forced me to reconsider what I believed. I remember trying desperatly trying to cling of what was left of my faith in july but by the start of the autumn semester I was on the highway to deconvertion, I stopped going to church and I started to read more and more on the subject, until I found this place! :grin: I haven't looked back since then and I don't regret losing my religion!

Other people's replies reminded me that I loved to ask questions. I remember a day when I asked my mom what many different things were for. I asked her what the sky was for. She said it was to keep the air in. :HaHa: I also got a lot of science books when a 2nd grade teacher my parents knew retired. I also asked a lot of questions in Catholic church when I was there, mostly about what different objects and activities were for.

My deconversion took a long time and a lot of little steps, it started when I was 17 in church, listening to the priest give his homily about heaven of all things. His statement (and doctorine to back it up) on heaven being perpetual worship, like church, had me sitting there realizing something key: This Is Wrong. A lot of time, searching, and some misteps with the Campus Crusade along the way, eventually I stumbled across a pagan circle, in progress.

Didi some research and jumped the deconversion rocket at that point.

"ringing ears"

Why don't you answer?

Nothing, so I prayed harder. My very soul was on the line.

*crickets chirping*

:twitch: Didn't you know the crickets chirping was a sign from God? Didn't you get the PM? :HaHa:

That was one theory, but then I discovered it was really tinnitis.

"Tinnitus, "ringing ears" or ear noise is a phenomenon of the nervous system connected to the ear, characterised by perception of a ringing, clicking, or chirping sounds."

I have this. I always thought it was the "sound of silence". Ya, I know -- basic moron.

I have some Tinitus too. Not much, it usually gets worse when I have a cold. It's from all the screaming and shouting from my kids or more probably the earphones.

I have some Tinitus too. Not much, it usually gets worse when I have a cold. It's from all the screaming and shouting from my kids or more probably the earphones.

Well, if that is one of your kids yelling "incomming" in your pic you should probably lay off the mortars for awhile and your tinnitis should go away. :P

My deconversion first started after I got frustrated with trying to find the correct form of Christianity. I was studying with the Jehovah's Witnesses during this period of time and watching how people twisted the bible all around made me study it more on my own. I never believed in the trinity, so they were kind of my only option. This led me to looking up history on Jesus, I was amazed at what I found, absolutely nothing. Then read an article online about the other Son's of God who have lots in common with J.C. Finally the bible eventually proved Christianity was a fraud. I just celebrated my one year anniversary for deconversion and its been great.

Shy - Do you still have the link to that article about the other sons of God?

My deconversion was a protracted, abysmally slow process. I was brought up with the lesson that the Bible was the divinly inspired, inerrant word of god. Fully believing this, I decided to read the account of the end of jesus' life from each of the gospels as an Easter devotion. I found that they didn't agree. But they were all supposed to be perfect and correct. I rationalized around this one for many years.

When I was in grad school, and I really started to associate with a broad cross-section of people, I found that there were folks who had no interest in religion, but were still friendly, good-hearted, pleasant to be with, and useful members of society. I had always been lead to believe that these godless heathen would be cruel, dishonest, drunken bums.

Still really inspired by a huge fear of hell, I held on. When I got divored around the age of 30, and I was cleaning my mental house anyhow, I finally threw it all out.

2) My OCD/anxiety

I concur; OCD was what prompted me to deconvert. After I stopped ritually praying for bad thoughts, I realized that I wasn't really praying to anything. Of course, I kinda delved back into spirituality for a little bit, but then that turned to crap as well, as it brought back a lot of things I had buried over the years.