Goodbye Jesus

Art vs "Art"

Fweethawt

Several years ago another member or myself started a thread in the 'Totally Off Topic" section (that I no longer have access to for whatever justified reason), about the devolution of art in modern times. 

I don't remember how heated the thread was, or if it was at all, about whether or not modern art should be considered to be art in the first place.

After all these years, I still find myself on the same side of that argument, and that is, that modern art is garbage.

This recent video is the perfect example of why and how far modern art has come since we discussed that topic so long ago.

Enjoy!

• Super Moderator

The now-defunct Totally Off Topic forum has been replaced by the Opine Club, in hopes of producing slightly less uncivilized conversation.  Would you consider the image below to be art?

381011_2737757321376_1815043599_n.jpg

4 hours ago, Fweethawt said:

After all these years, I still find myself on the same side of that argument, and that is, that modern art is garbage.

As someone who struggles to be an "artist," I tend to agree.  I find myself looking at a lot of modern art and saying, "even I could do that."  However, I guess one needs to start with a definition of "art."  There is this definition:  the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power. 

If that definition suffices, then whatever has "beauty" or "emotional power," is as they say, in the eye of the beholder.  It is interesting that there is such a wide difference of opinion among "beholders," especially if beholders are "art critics." 

• Super Moderator

One of my art teachers took us on a museum tour one fateful day and that's when I finally realized that art is bullshit and I then proceeded to embrace it make a career of it.

At the museum a rather large blank canvas that had a small razor slit in it was obviously museum quality "art." Random Polaroid photos were glued to a board and passing as art. Meanwhile people in NYC were painting with menstrual blood and feces.

Fuck yeah, I can do this!!! Fuck those Old Masters who relied on mere talent.

Art is a conversation among elites. If you're not an elite, it's nonsensical.

This is art. Elizabethan Yodel Metal

Focus- Hocus Pocus

• Haha 1

I always though "Hocus Pocus" was a fun song, but now I'm in awe - didn't know that the yodeler is also the keyboard player.  That is not easy to do (I know, because I used to play keyboards and sing).

On the subject of modern art, I'm actually a fan (faves include Lawren Harris. M.C. Escher, Salvador Dali, Gustav Klimt and a few others).  Not a fan of lazy art such as blank canvases or silly-ass "installations" with random objects strewn about haphazardly.

Focus???

Some of you folks sure get around.