Goodbye Jesus

The Mormons - What They Believe & History (vid)

alreadyGone

If you have ever encountered those of the Mormon belief, it can be an interesting experience.

This video is an overview of the Mormon church, told by some former members, converts, and various researchers.

(including Brigham Young's great-great granddaughter, now an ex-Mormon apostate)

"proxy-baptism for the dead" ???  🙂

This stuff is even more fun than snake-handling.

• Super Moderator

It's hard to decide which religion has the craziest stories or the shakiest foundation. Xenu's got nothing on these folks.

I try to see it (Christianity, Mormonism, etc ) in the context of human beings' propensity for myth and story-telling.

That's the only way I can make any sense of it all.

I am convinced that it's all the consequence of facing our mortality and the fragility of human life.

Maybe with our modern ability for record-keeping and worldwide cross-cultural communication we will move past that.. in another thousand years or so. If we survive as a species that is.

Personally I doubt I'll ever move past the inner disappointment and shame that I fell for it (Protestant Christianity) too.

In the real world being wrong in your core belief almost always comes at a price in lost energy, time, material resources, or even your mortal life.

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, alreadyGone said:

I try to see it (Christianity, Mormonism, etc ) in the context of human beings' propensity for myth and story-telling.

That's the only way I can make any sense of it all.

But why does everyone come up with even crazier shit than those who went before? Is there a contest?

59 minutes ago, florduh said:

... Is there a contest?

Isn't there always?

Is that a topic for a different thread?

"What are the most absurd or outrageous claims made by any of the various religions?".