Goodbye Jesus

Outed myself at the hairdresser

Call_me_Lex

I'm upset with myself because I answered truthfully.

What happened:

I was at the hairdresser, it's a good fit and I have been going for a few months now. As standard I avoid talking about religion.

Today the pastor of her church came in when I had my appointment. He did one of those long prayers thank you for finding these premises Lord by the blood of Jesus new customers will come etc. (No that's marketing and getting a good reputation). I closed my eyes and waited, just to be polite.

Then as soon as the prayer ended he turned and asked me are you a Christian. I just answered 'no'.  Then the pastor asked my name. I answered. 'Oh do you know that is a biblical name!?!'

No shit. Most people have at least a vague idea about their OWN name origin. It's not the most well known but one of the people named in Paul's letters. I said so. Silence. Then he left.

Now my problem is that the hairdresser's demeanor towards me has completely changed it's as if I said I like snacking on babies and I have a couple of spare in my freezer at the moment. I'm just upset about this whole situation.

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, Call_me_Lex said:

I'm upset with myself because I answered truthfully.

Would you be less upset with yourself if you had lied?  I would suggest that you have become comfortable enough with your own truth to have answered without even thinking.  Celebrate the victory and find a new barber shop.

• Like 4

• Super Moderator
2 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Celebrate the victory and find a new barber shop.

Yep. No need to make life complicated or difficult.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Call_me_Lex said:

Now my problem is that the hairdresser's demeanor towards me has completely changed it's as if I said I like snacking on babies and I have a couple of spare in my freezer at the moment. I'm just upset about this whole situation.

Lex darlin'. Hairdresser here of 47 years. Let me tell you a story hun. When I started to come out and share who I really was with a lot of my clientele, they ALL slowly left me. I did a huge portion of the woman from a 1500 seater church so it was a big church. Half my clientele gone.... just because I was questioning god.

I knew they were thinking in their hearts, 'What in the heck will we talk to Margee about now when  bible talk is all you do when two Christians get together.? Because of our Christian relationship and we all went to the same church, I got to have 'bible study' every day of the week so I was fully brainwashed. Lol  I really tried hard to get on to new topics for awhile, like weather, diets, shopping, family....but there was always that piece missing that Margee was questioning the bible.  The pastors wife actually stuck it out with me for quite some time (I think she kept praying for me) but eventually she make it clear to me that I was choosing to go to hell. I had enough of her at this point and pretty much told her that our relationship wasn't going to work anymore and we both cried our hearts out and she left my clientele (after 25-30 years of being 'friends' and doing her hair) and that was that. I've never seen her since and once considered her to be my 'spiritual' best friend for many years.

I tell you this little story  because you seem to like this hairdresser and I know that finding a hairdresser that you like is so important to a woman. BUT.... if you feel one bit awkward in her chair, find someone else. If she is a hardcore Christian, she will try to convert you back to Christianity or you might actually be treated differently like you already mentioned. You really find out who your friends are in these situations hun. So be glad about that. 

Keep us posted and best of luck to you. (hug) 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Call_me_Lex said:

Now my problem is that the hairdresser's demeanor towards me has completely changed

It's the hairdresser's problem in my opinion. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube at this point anyway but she's made it clear she only want christians to be clients of hers. I really believe you are lucky to have found out this soon. I don't even think stifling would be enough for someone so far down the rabbit hole. Having the minister bless her shop during business hours demonstrates a lack of concern for non christians such as yourself. She would notice a lack of amens and hallelujahs and thank you Jesus' which would require questions. Inevitably you would have had enough. Wouldn't it be fun to have a hairdresser with a wider range of interests and maybe someone who even actually likes you? Truthfully, this was more of a blessing than a problem.  

• Like 1

I worry about outing myself at work.  Because, if I am asked directly, I will not lie.  And, I think you should be proud that you didn't lie either.  You probably need a new hairdresser, but that's fine.  Do you really want to give money to someone who doesn't want you there?  Yeah, it sucks that some people just can't accept others.

• Like 2