Goodbye Jesus

Back to church?

Call_me_Lex

Thank you for your lovely supportive messages in my other thread.

I was fully immersed in religion but about 5 years ago saw behind the curtain, as it were. I stopped going to church.

Where I live there is a beautiful old church from the 1200s. I have spent time in there absorbing the atmosphere, just thinking. And though the benches have been replaced, some of the stones are worn away by almost 900 years of people.

For the last couple of weeks I have attended the sung evening mass (High Anglican). At the school I went to as a girl we had assembly every day, and I was in the choir, so it felt so familiar and comfortable.

In terms of my personal religion it varied between Baptist growing up, Pentecostal as a teen, then strict Baptist as an adult. So these services are not part of what my religious path involved.

I skip over the parts where they say 'I believe in Jesus' etc. And a lot of the time in my mind I substitute 'the universe' or even myself in prayers and hymns.

I worry that I'm being a hypocrite. I haven't told them 'I'm not Christian' and in any case, the Anglican side of things is often about tradition and not so much 'personal faith.'

Has anyone experienced something similar?

46 minutes ago, Call_me_Lex said:

... and in any case, the Anglican side of things is often about tradition and not so much 'personal faith.'

I believe the same can be said for almost all sects of the Christian faith, even the more contemporary Protestant sects.

To my perception, and judging from what I've observed, tradition and the social aspect are the major components of most people's religious belief.

• Super Moderator

I still get nostalgic over certain songs and music.  More so because it takes me back to the times and memories and such than because of any beliefs or "truths" contained therein.

• 1 month later...

I do like very old church buildings.  Religious buildings in general. Not the modern ones. The modern ones suck in my country :))Very bland.