Goodbye Jesus

Why Are Xtians Fooled By Images Of Jesus Or The Virgin Mary?

Guest Emerson

Guest Emerson

Yeah you know those stories that you see on the news of how there is an image of the virgin mary or jesus or something biblical on pieces of cheese, a window, etc. Why does anyone care? If anything I think its a hoax.

Here's a link to an article, someone actually paid $28,000 for a piece of toast that supposedly has a pic of the virgin mary.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4034787.stm

At some point you just gotta wonder why???

Goodbye Jesus

I take it as a sign of desperation. They need validation SOOO badly, that faith is no longer sufficient. They want cold hard proof that their belief system is the truth. Oddly, that need creates the fork in the road, with one path leading to even greater religious extremism, and the other path leading....guess where? :wave:

Godsdamnit, Raven, you stole my answer near word-for-word! :HaHa:

Stay out of my head! It's dangerous in there! :lmao:

Heh, it's also that they are random likenessess to an ARTIST'S Perception of Jesus and Mary. If they existed at all, they'd have looked like anyone else in that area of the world, dark skinned.

i guess they think its holy cause their god appeared on it. i think its crazy too pay thousands of dollars for it. seems like catholics fall for this stuff more than anyone is their some kind of rule in the catholic church that says worship things mary or jesus apears on?

I take it as a sign of desperation. They need validation SOOO badly, that faith is no longer sufficient. They want cold hard proof that their belief system is the truth. Oddly, that need creates the fork in the road, with one path leading to even greater religious extremism, and the other path leading....guess where? :wave:

That's it exactly. In my Catholic days, even when I was totally faithful to the cult, I knew how hard it could be for non-believers to accept the "truths" of Big Momma Church™. So I endlessly sought little things like the Shroud and studied all the alleged apparations of The Virgin™. These had the potential to be real-world, verifiable proofs of the truths of that the Church™ was teaching, and hence as valuable (and eventually, more valuable) than Babblical apologetics and so forth. It was all about that desparate quest to fulfill the Great Commission™ and prove Catholicism was the unvarnished truth.

And indeed, that desire to know the truth above all did end up backfiring and leading me to study non-xian paths, eventually leading me to question Xianity itself :fdevil:

i guess they think its holy cause their god appeared on it. i think its crazy too pay thousands of dollars for it. seems like catholics fall for this stuff more than anyone is their some kind of rule in the catholic church that says worship things mary or jesus apears on?

Sort of; it's more like the Catholic Church™ venerates (ie, worships) things it can "prove" the Virgin ™ or Jeezus™ appeared on, so everyone in turn follows along.

I take it as a sign of desperation. They need validation SOOO badly, that faith is no longer sufficient.

Absolutely. In fact, they don't have any faith.

Hey, I'm a believer too, but I can live with the fact that science and reason contradict the tenets of my faith perfectly well. Because, to shamelessly use a definition I read somewhere on the web, I simply "trust that everything will be alright in the end". And, needless to say, unless I should find objective proof for my faith someday, I will not run around trying to convert someone. I know how I'd shake my head in disbelief if they tried to pull that one on me, how could I dare to assume that they would believe me if I tried the same? ;)

(Not that I'm actively searching for objective proof either. Those who "hear the call" will search their way toward "us" on their own, and those who don't, well they won't. Not much need to accelerate anything there ;) )

Only those without faith desperately need proof. Trust me. Have faith in me! :lmao:

Yeah you know those stories that you see on the news of how there is an image of the virgin mary or jesus or something biblical on pieces of cheese, a window, etc. Why does anyone care? If anything I think its a hoax.

Here's a link to an article, someone actually paid $28,000 for a piece of toast that supposedly has a pic of the virgin mary.

Actually, I'm done asking "why?" I have now moved into, "If you can't cure 'em, FLEECE 'em!"

I am SERIOUSLY thinking of returning to Xianity, JUST so I can take advantage of their gullible little minds. They want to spend thousands of dollars on images of Mary in grilled cheese? Fine. Who am I NOT to take advantage of such idiocy?

Time for me to start cranking out and selling some pieces of the "True Cross" taken, oddly enough, from the tree in my back yard.

As Harry Anderson once said, "A fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place."

I bet she is in to Voodoo or Hoodoo or something cause she was in my head too, I'm surprised she made it out sane.

Guest Emerson

Mr. Grinch,

You never cease to amuse me. :woohoo: I love your sarcasm. I know, xtians are gullible, they'll buy anything that has to do with jesus. I actually don't mind of lying when coming across christian customers at work. In a country full of fundies, if lying will make them a loyal customer then I don't mind and we'll have their money in the end! lol. Oh I'm just terrible, but whatever. I'm sure christian media wouldn't exist if there wasn't money in it for the so called "christian artists."

:woohoo:

Actually, I'm done asking "why?" I have now moved into, "If you can't cure 'em, FLEECE 'em!"

I am SERIOUSLY thinking of returning to Xianity, JUST so I can take advantage of their gullible little minds. They want to spend thousands of dollars on images of Mary in grilled cheese? Fine. Who am I NOT to take advantage of such idiocy?

Time for me to start cranking out and selling some pieces of the "True Cross" taken, oddly enough, from the tree in my back yard.

As Harry Anderson once said, "A fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place."

I bet she is in to Voodoo or Hoodoo or something cause she was in my head too, I'm surprised she made it out sane.

*shake my rattle.....dab chicken blood on the cat.....who won't sit still*

Don't know what you two are talking about.

*begins muttering to self*

"They know. We need to be more careful. Pass the corn please."

Yeah you know those stories that you see on the news of how there is an image of the virgin mary or jesus or something biblical on pieces of cheese, a window, etc. Why does anyone care?

<snip>

I figured it's because they're dipshits.

But I suppose I could be broad-brushing there. ;)

This link has a good explanation of the phenomenon of where people think they see Jeezus or Mary (or images in clouds for that matter):

www.badastronomy.com article