Goodbye Jesus

Christian Friends

HoustonHorn

Have to rant for a minute - guess it's a good thing this section is here :grin:

I had a relative explain to me that he was having trouble finding Christian friends where he lived. He went so far as to say that the people he interacts with throughout the day are about as far from Christian as possible. I'm thinking he meant that the people he's around aren't as moral or ethical as he'd prefer, or like to be associated with. And I wonder how many people use this same description - calling someone Christian when they really mean moral or ethical.

It makes me think that describing someone as Christian is just easier than trying to actually get to know them. By using the moniker "Christian" it implys someone who is moral, ethical, loving, etc (I'm going to ignore for the moment how often those assumptions are incorrect). It's more a label so you don't really have to get to know them. Kind of a way to not waste your time getting to know someone before deciding you don't agree with their views.

Amazing isn't it?

That kind of thing used to sound perfectly rational once didn't it?

Now it smacks strongly of bias, prejudice, and pride. Some real "christian" virtues there. :Doh:

No doubt I could have had the same thought about 6 months ago. It's amazing looking back in how much you missed.

Well well... for the sake of fairness, there are christians and christians. Over here, while most christians by far are totally apathetic, all but indistinguishable from atheists, those who take their faith somewhat seriously do try to be at least a bit like jebus supposedly was... inasmuch as the wholly babble tells.

I'll gladly admit that, as long as this is all they strive for, the claim that christian = moral isn't totally false for sure.

Too bad that there are so many fuckfaces in the same cult too. :Hmm:

This is interesting... I got some pretty high praise from one of my 74 year-old neighbors this weekend. He's a pretty liberal catholic, and loves to talk religion. He said something pretty cool to me; he said he didn't have a problem with my being an atheist because he "knew" that the god he believed in would never send a person like me to hell.

There's christians of all stripes out there. My pop the preacher gets escape from the fact that all three of his sons are atheists because he believes in that silly "once-saved, always-saved" baptist docrine.

I'd say for the most part that my brothers and I lead much more "moral" lives than 95% of the True Christians™ out there...

I think there are probably the same percentage of immoral people in Christianity and atheism. The only difference is that the atheists seem to be more honest about there moral differences. An atheist is more likely to say "Yes this is probably considered wrong by society, but I am not hurting anyone". The Christian will more than likely blame any problems on the devil tempting them.

Grow up and take responsibility!

You know that if you don't say anything about religion that there are people that think you are a good christian. My parents think I am. Once you open your mouth about being an atheist suddenly they "knew" you weren't a good christian.

Guest Emerson

Not to brag, but compared to my stepcousin J, she was raised under a strict christian family while I was raised by parents who allowed me to make my own opinions of religion. Well let's just say that as soon as J hit 17, she started rebelling and when she hit 18 it got even worse. She smoke, began to drink a lot, lost her virginity at a very early age, and it got bad enough that her own folks kicked her out.

I think that she rebelled because of the strict evangelical style that they set for her. She couldn't watch pg-13 movies, the tv and its programs were evil, she couldn't date at even age 16, it was a very legalistic style that they lived in. Even secular music was forbidden in their home. I never really had the desire to rebel, because more or less I was allowed to have certain freedoms.

One time someone asked how it was possible that I have morals when I didn't believe in the bible, and what a stupid question...as if we're supposed to be the evils of society simply because we question religion. I think right and wrong is an innate thing that every human being has.

I also try to be positive and optimistic, and at work you can't show that you're sad or complain. No one wants to see a sad face or hear complaints, especially your boss and coworkers, and more importantly the customers. Anyway, I had a customer who asked me. "Are you a christian, you always smile and you have a different attitude."

I said that I was though I didn't go to church, he told me that he was a christian. If playing the part here and there will gain me loyalty with customers and stuff, then I'll do it.

But anyway, the point is....are we supposed to be depressed just because we aren't under the judeo/christian umbrella anymore? I mean please. I can be just as happy as anyone.