Goodbye Jesus

What are we all doing for Christmas this year?

Narrator

What are we all doing for Christmas this year?

My parents are gone. My brother is Christian, my sister has turned into a year-long Grinch.

All my kids are adults. Three live interstate - we sent boxes.

One kid is here (33 and still at home). One grand-kid is here every second weekend.

We give presents. We may BBQ something.

None of us will be going to church - except my brother.

Sometimes I miss the carols.

There was a time, maybe 6 years ago, when all the kids were here for Christmas.

We BBQ'd. We wore silly hats. We drank too much. We had a laugh.

Christmas is a happy / sad time.

We have only one kid and this year we’re going to stay with him and his wife - along with her parents - instead of them coming here.  Before COVID we usually went to Midnight Mass (my wife is a believer and I rather enjoy the beauty of the church).  The ‘kids’ don’t go to church except for Christmas and weddings anyway and haven’t been at all where they live now so the only nod to religion will likely be a cursory prayer before dinner.  So basically a Christ-free Christmas 😀😈

My wife and I enjoy the food and drink as much as anybody but we also love to be outdoors so there will be walks in their neighborhood and beyond.  I’m off work from the 22nd until after the New Year weekend so looking forward to that.  Maybe watch one or two college football bowl games.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

After sacrificing the virgins, my family and I will sit down to a nice feast of roasted baby flesh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I like the smell of the evergreens, the look of the boughs, red bows, candles, pine cones, fireplace, smells of ginger/clove/nutmeg, and the sound of old time carols (not so much the lyrics). I lean towards "pagan" which is really recognizing how we fit into the cycles of nature, and remembering our own mortality as part of those cycles. 

I will be singing in a Rat Pack holiday show tonight at a jazz club, and that marks my first time really performing in 2 years of hunkering down during virus time. Most of those I know are fully vaxed and boostered. The proprietor was not and got the bug on a trip 2 weeks ago, and that is really sad but fairly predictable when reality is ignored in favor of a political "hoax" fantasy. He's a wonderful supporter of music and Bohemian life, so I hope he pulls through and will be ok. 

I already reconnected with my brothers this month, but probably won't be seeing them again for a while. 

Yule1.jpg

I have several sets of Christmas's to get through. After Christmas day I'm headed up to the mountains to fish and carry on through new years. I booked a private waters flyfishing guide. My brother and cousin will be in a cabin not far away so I'll tour them around all of my public fishing spots I like to fish in northern Georgia and southeastern Tennessee. The mountains are one of my pantheist churches of Nature/Consciousness....

• Like 2

Mass quantities of cookies (some for us, some to be distributed at work).

Yule celebration on December 21.

Christmas lunch at work on the 23rd.

My traditional Cappuccino Run on Christmas Eve.  It involves sitting in a mall with a fancy coffee while I watch other people shop.

More noms on the 25th, probably roast duck.

Homemade pizza on New Year's Eve.

Otherwise, business as usual around here - a lot of reading, writing, playing clarinet, occasional stargazing, and puttering around the house.

• Super Moderator
52 minutes ago, Astreja said:

More noms on the 25th, probably roast duck.

We had roast duck for Thanksgiving this year, along with a beautiful honey baked toddler's leg.

A cup of coffee. Or tea.

Two of the nephews I spoke about in a different thread just asked us to dinner on Christmas Eve.  Leaving Mom at our house to look after the kiddo and taking my nephews for some Korean BBQ.  Christmas Day will be presents, food, and hopefully a nap.

(staggers in with glass of mead in her hand)  This year's Yule dinner theme was "The Vikings Tour Asia."  We had Chinese curried beef puff pastries, inari sushi, pork souvlaki and Crab Rangoon, plus deviled eggs spiked with Lao Gan Ma black bean chili sauce.

5 hours ago, Astreja said:

(staggers in with glass of mead in her hand)  This year's Yule dinner theme was "The Vikings Tour Asia."  We had Chinese curried beef puff pastries, inari sushi, pork souvlaki and Crab Rangoon, plus deviled eggs spiked with Lao Gan Ma black bean chili sauce.

Yummm!

Generally its a family day for me. Being the sole atheist in the whole extended family does make things awkward if its turns to Jesus talk. But generally we eat, drink (not alcohol sadly)and be merry. Play some games.

The rest of the xmas break I hope to go fishing as much as possible weather and seas permitting.

"I have an everlasting itch for things remote, I long to sail forbidden seas"

• Like 1

My daughter will (hopefully) be coming home for a few days, and we will eat and drink everything in sight...including a turkey feast on the 25th. Usually, after the feast, it's tough to stand up for a few hours so I sit and watch TV while the Mrs. brings me drinks lol 😆 

I am now officially done with Christmas shopping, having picked up the last three items for the 25th:  A duck, some yams, and half a pound of fancy coffee.

Kinda feel like I dodged a bullet, though - I got one of only two ducks remaining in the supermarket freezer.  Tomorrow might have been too late.

I must try duck for Christmas sometime. It's been years, and the last time my mother-in-law cooked it.

She's prize bitch, but a fantastic cook. lol

I have been on my own (out of choice) for 36 years and will spend Xmas day reading, watching TV and all the normal daily stuff.

For many years I spent it in Bangkok (3 months winter holiday) where it is a normal day with all the shops open and I was out and about around town.