Goodbye Jesus

Isn't God the Creditor? - Why not just cancel the debt?

Krowb

May be an image of text that says 'In a nutshell, here's the Christmas story: Jesus came to pay a debt He didn't owe, because you and I owed a debt we couldn't pay. The towering motive behind Christmas is that God loves each one of us very much. PATRICK MORLEY'

But this love does not extend to simply cancelling the debt that God supposedly forced upon each and every person born.

Biblegod, cosmic loan shark.

• Haha 2

The greatest suicide ever did not commit a sin by killing himself?

dev.jpg

• Super Moderator

I thought a lot about this when I was struggling with holding onto my faith. Why does God demand blood to forgive sins, especially when you read the gospels and Christians are told to forgive, without anything in return. You end up with a set of ethics for God, and another for man; and this extends to other ideas as well. We are to forgive our enemies, while God is going to torture his eternally.

In Jewish and Christian thought, there was an idea that emulating YHWH was the highest standard for humans, but that could not be true as God is operating on a different system of ethics; therefore, if God is the greatest good, then whatever good we are told to obey is a lesser good. It gets confusing when you really contemplate it.