Goodbye Jesus

Hell

Sexton Blake

Nowadays, most christians don't go to church, don't pray, don't read the bible, don't give to good causes, don't put themselves out to help others and lead generally  "bad lives" and are hypocrites mean that almost no one believes Hell really exists these days?

Is the threat of Hell now a toothless old dog?

• Haha 1

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

I heard an interesting comment about Hell on a podcast the other day:  the guy said that most Christians believe that they believe in Hell, but they don’t really believe in it.

That said, I know that several of our members here had extreme fear of Hell at some point during their deconversion process.  Wanting to help to ease and eventually eliminate that fear is one of the reasons I am active here.  

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
20 minutes ago, TABA said:

most Christians believe that they believe in Hell, but they don’t really believe in it.

Somewhat like me as a christian.  I believed in hell; but I didn't believe god would actually send anybody there.  Satan would go, and all the demons, maybe even the worst of the worst like Pol Pot or Chairman Mao.  But not regular Joe type folks.  

7 hours ago, Sexton Blake said:

Is the threat of Hell now a toothless old dog?

Arf!

As Alan Watts once said, if people really believed in Hell, they would be shouting it from every street corner.  They would be panicked about it.  Instead they keep redefining what it is. The latest ive heard is that Hell is "separation from God." The "burning" in hell is a "burning desire to be reunited with God." Whatever. If God gave me a brain to think with, then he better send me some evidence that this brain can process.

• Like 2

Over a dozen years ago on the long defunct BBC religion site, there were christians there who gloated over the fact that atheists on that site and elsewhere who would burn in Hell forever and that they could laugh at their screams of pain, from Heaven.

On 1/16/2022 at 12:48 PM, Sexton Blake said:

there were christians there who gloated over the fact that atheists on that site and elsewhere who would burn in Hell forever and that they could laugh at their screams of pain, from Heaven

Yeah it's one thing when you're talking about strangers. (Still sick though). What about the people they know and love that are non believers? 

Hell is just an authoritarian tactic.  If you're a part of the regime then it's not for you just the lowly out-group (and, of course, they deserve it).  This is why xians rarely worry of the place.  They'll never wind up in that prison.  It's for the others.  The ones they don't really care and don't want in their utopia anyhow.  This includes all the wrong thinking xians too.  So, just them and theirs ("theirs" being a rather loose definition).

mwc

• Like 1

6 hours ago, freshstart said:

Yeah it's one thing when you're talking about strangers. (Still sick though). What about the people they know and love that are non believers

Either they don’t really believe in Hell, they just think they do, as I mentioned above, or they conjure up some “I just know that god is just and merciful” potential escape route.  If they truly believed in Hell, most Christmas would be working much harder than they do to convert the lost.  Of course most of them do precisely nothing in that regard. 

On 1/16/2022 at 9:48 AM, Sexton Blake said:

Over a dozen years ago on the long defunct BBC religion site, there were christians there who gloated over the fact that atheists on that site and elsewhere who would burn in Hell forever and that they could laugh at their screams of pain, from Heaven.

Sounds like pride. That's probably a sin. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Super Moderator
On 1/16/2022 at 12:48 PM, Sexton Blake said:

Jonathan Edwards really got off on that.