Goodbye Jesus

Apologists

Sexton Blake

Why are there so many christian apologists about (notably on catholic sites) to tell us "what the bible really means"?

Surely the bible was written by ordinary people, for ordinary people, and there are no complex codes hidden in it that only self confessed modern geniuses can find?

Apologists are such liars.

Goodbye Jesus

This reminds me of something my father (definitely not Catholic) used to say, "The bible says what it means, and means what it says".  There was no "interpreting" it.  And we didn't dare disagree with him.

10 hours ago, Sexton Blake said:

Why are there so many christian apologists about (notably on catholic sites) to tell us "what the bible really means"?

Surely the bible was written by ordinary people, for ordinary people, and there are no complex codes hidden in it that only self confessed modern geniuses can find?

Apologists are such liars.

For most of the existence of Catholicism, it was only the leaders of the Church that had a Bible, interpreted it and spoke it to the members.  This went on, exclusively, for over 1000 years.  Things began to change with the invention of the printing press in 1436 and the development of the Reformation in the early 16th Century.  Today, there are many Christian denominations and all members can and usually do have their own copy of a Bible.  Still, many of the old Catholic traditions live on and many Catholics adhere to them.

I used to think Christian apologists were liars, and some of them certainly are.  However, at least in my observations, most are ignorant, misinformed and indoctrinated.  They simply believe in certain nonsense and are taught to tell others about it.

• Like 2

Human beings see what they believe.

The lie is in telling others "this is truth", when the only thing you really know is that you feel very strongly about it.

When you lie to yourself about anything of real substance or import, then lying to others becomes a necessity.

Given the limitations of being human, lying to yourself is the easiest thing in the world.

Not doing so is the most difficult thing in the world.

That, to my thinking, is the insidious and dangerous nature of the Christian belief.

At this stage of life, I often hate myself for the lies I told myself and stupidly believed.

And then I wonder how to now see and accept the truth, no matter how ugly or frightening it may sometimes be.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alreadyGone said:

At this stage of life, I often hate myself for the lies I told myself and stupidly believed.

Don't blame yourself.  The early psychological conditioning (including church indoctrination) in early life, especially when we are surrounded by it in family, and society,  can be a powerful force.  Some are raised in fear based households and never recover from the fear enough to question authority.  They learn very early in life that the way to survive is to simply obey, and not ask questions.  Somehow you got the courage to question things.  

I am thankful I had a christian grandfather who was somewhat a maverick.  He often argued with preachers about doctrine, said everyone had to work out their own salvation, and once told me to not belive everything preachers said.  HA! he had no idea how far that advise would eventually take me.  And I delayed leaving church a few years because I didn't want to disappoint family.  Those were a miserable few years.