Goodbye Jesus

Feeling a bit embarrassed

Mary

Recently I left Christianity like three years ago and for some reason I can't get rid of feeling kind of embarrassed for believing so long I did some really cringey things. IS this a normal phase haha?

• Like 3

• Super Moderator

It's perfectly normal.  Many of us also did pretty embarrassing things in the name of our religion.  I left the church nearly 20 years ago and still to this day when hiking in the mountains, I'll look at a giant Boulder and think, "that'd be a good one to crawl under because of that time in 1992 when I... (insert vomitive here).

It helps to think of the 5 stages of grief in relation to the deconversion process.  I went through all 5 stages; multiple times for a few of them.  For me, the anger was the worst.  But it's all normal and it's all okay.  We're here for you and I hope you'll rely on us when you have questions or struggles.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mary said:

IS this a normal phase haha?

Definitely.  Understanding the mental conditioning we go through in early life will help you forgive yourself for some of the things you (we all) did earlier.  HA! and continue to do.  I'm 80 years old and still embarrass myself occasionally.

• Like 1

The embarrassment, crawl under a rock thing (to quote RedneckProfessor) reminds me of some of the stupid things I did in general, when I was young, not just as a Christian. But the hardest thing for me to get past is the life I might have lived. I was a Christian for about 35 years. Became an ex about 10 years ago. Those wasted years and wrong choices still bother me. I try to remember some of the good it did for me. I may have turned out more selfish. 😎

• Super Moderator
2 hours ago, Narrator said:

The embarrassment, crawl under a rock thing (to quote RedneckProfessor) reminds me of some of the stupid things I did in general, when I was young, not just as a Christian. But the hardest thing for me to get past is the life I might have lived. I was a Christian for about 35 years. Became an ex about 10 years ago. Those wasted years and wrong choices still bother me. I try to remember some of the good it did for me. I may have turned out more selfish. 😎

I felt this.  But I try to focus my energy on the idea that the life I could have lived is nothing compared to the life I plan to live with what time I have left.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I felt this.  But I try to focus my energy on the idea that the life I could have lived is nothing compared to the life I plan to live with what time I have left.

I wanted to "Like" this, but apparently I've reached my quota of likes. lol..

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, Narrator said:

There's always tomorrow.  😆

On 2/6/2022 at 5:41 PM, Narrator said:

That is frustrating.  Especially when you have been gone a few days and come back to catch up on reading posts.

On 2/5/2022 at 4:06 PM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Many of us also did pretty embarrassing things in the name of our religion.

I went back several years ago and apologized to some people I had hounded in my christian days about the right way to be saved.  They told me not to worry about it.  They knew I was just doing what I thought was right at the time.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 8:59 AM, Mary said:

Recently I left Christianity like three years ago and for some reason I can't get rid of feeling kind of embarrassed for believing so long I did some really cringey things. IS this a normal phase haha?

Believing in general is not a bad thing. Believing in religion is more of a naive thing IMO. With the internet now there is much more exposure to knowledge, different ideas, and different points of view -- so to be fooled by religion is more difficult to do now. From studies around the world, religion has been on a decline for awhile now.

Of course the beliefs and actions of a religious person are usually normal, and that you had such beliefs. like all of us here, should not be embarrassing, because most people live there entire lives without ever realizing that their religious beliefs were just a fantasy.  

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 8:59 AM, Mary said:

Give it time. Dont be hard on yourself. Remember that other people are still believing those cringey things so  you're one up on them. :) The crazy ideas of Christianity are so normalized within the faith community and often ingrained from birth. I remember trying to sell Jesus to someone and feel a bit silly about that now but eh, not going to give it any serious thought time. lol. 

• Like 2

On 2/5/2022 at 11:59 AM, Mary said:

Hi Mary, welcome! 

Once you finally get it, yeah, it can be embarrassing to look back on a time when you didn't. Welcome to the club!

• Like 1