Goodbye Jesus

Should you debate with lunatics?

Sexton Blake

Some 6 out of 7 people in the world are to some degree, insane.

They are delusional and without any evidence, they believe they have imaginary friends (and enemies) like Jesus, various gods, angels, demons, spirits and the like.

The problem is that you have to slap them down now and again or their delusions increase and they believe even more that they are right as no one has shown them wrong.

However, despite being proved wrong, they still rationalise that they are somehow right as they do not know everything, so somewhere there is evidence proving them right.

Young Earth creationists show extreme ignorance of science and gullibility to believe in the 6,000 year old Earth in a Universe that is unbelievably vast and that is clearly billions of years old.

Even worse, if possible are flat earthers.

The original belief came from the bible:

https://www.ic.unicamp.br/~stolfi/misc/misc/FlatEarth/FlatEarthAndBible.html

but has since been reinforced by crackpot videos on youtube, which has multiplied their numbers.

And yet, creationists who claim to believe every verse in the bible (a book almost all have never read) from the first to the last, strangely ignore the flat earth verses in the bible and that until just thirty years ago, the church believed the world was flat and at the centre of everything (I won't say the Universe as that was discovered only recently, in 1925).

https://www.wired.com/2008/09/sept-11-1822-church-admits-its-not-all-about-us-2/

So if the church admits they were wrong about something as major as this, what else might they be wrong about?

800wm.jpg

• Sad 1

On 2/7/2022 at 5:36 PM, Sexton Blake said:

Citation needed. That you disagree with someone or that they have beliefs you consider silly doesn't automatically categories them as insane.

By your definition everyone is insane. But if that's the case then insanity is simply normal. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2022 at 10:36 PM, Sexton Blake said:

The problem is that you have to slap them down now and again or their delusions increase and they believe even more that they are right as no one has shown them wrong.

Your anger concerns me, and I definitely disagree with your solution of slapping them around.  That kind of treatment is likely one reason they have a problem.  "They" perhaps are afraid to give up their fantasy??

You seem awfully angry with the Catholic(?) church, which I can understand.   If you would like to discuss it further, send me a personal message.  I hope you find some relief somewhere! 

• Super Moderator
On 2/6/2022 at 11:36 PM, Sexton Blake said:

However, despite being proved wrong, they still rationalise that they are somehow right as they do not know everything, so somewhere there is evidence proving them right.

This is somewhat typical human behavior in general, though.  It's not exclusive to religious adherents at all.  It includes men refusing to ask for directions despite being clearly lost, women continuing to pursue their love interest after clearly being rebuffed... the list goes on.  It might be more extreme in certain areas (religion, politics, and medicine all come to mind); but it is to be observed in most, if not all, other aspects of life. 

• Like 2

But while most such people are easy to ignore, it is not so easy with religious people.

Put a sign that you all have the plague on your door and they will still come to visit, offering to cure you with a laying on of hands (on your wallets).

On 2/15/2022 at 3:29 AM, LogicalFallacy said:

Citation needed. That you disagree with someone or that they have beliefs you consider silly doesn't automatically categories them as insane.

By your definition everyone is insane. But if that's the case then insanity is simply normal. 

There is said to be about 1.1 billion atheists in the world, with the rest having imaginary friends who help them and who they call on for help.

They believe that a super bring who made a whole Universe has a complete interest in them personally.

On 2/15/2022 at 7:59 AM, Weezer said:

Your anger concerns me, and I definitely disagree with your solution of slapping them around.  That kind of treatment is likely one reason they have a problem.  "They" perhaps are afraid to give up their fantasy??

You seem awfully angry with the Catholic(?) church, which I can understand.   If you would like to discuss it further, send me a personal message.  I hope you find some relief somewhere! 

Sjap them down is to prove them and their nonsense wrong. No physical contact, even when they offer some sweeties.

The world would have been a far, far better place had the catholic church never existed. Their intolerance, violence and evil makes every other version of christianity look bad.

4 hours ago, Sexton Blake said:

Sjap them down is to prove them and their nonsense wrong. No physical contact, even when they offer some sweeties.

Isn't slapping them down what god did in the old testament?  And what Catholics did in the middle ages to those they thought were wrong?  Is that really the answer?  

And verbal slapping often goes into cycles and can esculate into physical slapping.

• Super Moderator
4 hours ago, Sexton Blake said:

Slap them down is to prove them and their nonsense wrong. No physical contact, even when they offer some sweeties.

47 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Isn't slapping them down what god did in the old testament?  And what Catholics did in the middle ages to those they thought were wrong?  Is that really the answer?  

I feel like Sexton is referring to something along the lines of what we do in the Lion's Den.  Could be wrong, though.

3 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I feel like Sexton is referring to something along the lines of what we do in the Lion's Den.  Could be wrong, though.

My bad.  But I believe doing it in a non-physical way is usually non-productive.   And since we are anonymous we can get away with it.   But in the real world it can go in cycles and morph into real problems.  

• Super Moderator
12 minutes ago, Weezer said:

My bad. 

Well, we won't slap you down for it... this time.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Sexton Blake said:

There is said to be about 1.1 billion atheists in the world, with the rest having imaginary friends who help them and who they call on for help.

They believe that a super bring who made a whole Universe has a complete interest in them personally.

You didn't cite any sources that would back up your claim that 6/7 people in the world are insane.

All you did was point out that atheists are in the minority. If we are playing this by the numbers game then it is the atheists that are insane, and indeed many religious folk consider this to be the case. Happily for us insanity is not determined by how many people agree or disagree with you. It's a specific diagnosable medical condition.

Atheists believe that either energy/matter has always existed, or everything came into existence from nothing. (I'm not aware of any third potential at this stage because as soon as you say "something" has existed you are in the energy/matter camp)

And at this point NEITHER side can definitively prove their claim on that one.

PS being wrong in your opinion or belief or claim (as I BELIEVE that theists are... and many atheists depending on the subject) does not automatically make you insane. We are all wrong about something... probably a lot of things.

4 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Well, we won't slap you down for it... this time.

I am disappoint... was looking forward to a good public slapping down.

• Haha 1