Goodbye Jesus

Gotta Love Texas

HoustonHorn

I'm guessing this has come up here before, but I didn't find anything...

From the Texas Constitution - Article 1, Section 4.

No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.

It looks like your religion doesn't matter as long as you have one.

Does anybody know of any cases where this has been challenged?

Goodbye Jesus

I believe in hell. Because I am in it as a resident of Texas.

Don't get me wrong, Texas has it's great qualities(perpetually warm and sunny. I love that), but overall...bleah.

This state is so unbelieveably backwards that I keep expecting to see "COLORED" water fountains.

I haven't seen any instances where that particular law has been challenged or overturned. However, I often wonder has anyone lied about their personal beliefs just to run for office here.

Because you would have to abide by that rule...And the fundies here will hold you to it.

No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.

I suppose if I were to run for office here in Texas, and this issue came up, I would merely acknowledge myself as the supreme being and further acknowledge that I exist.

Guest Emerson

Nope. Honestly, why does anyone have to believe in anything? Why do the 3 big ones have to convert everyone? What's wrong with NOT believing in God? Why is that such a sin?

Losingmyreligion, AZ isn't any better either. I long to escape from the right-wing Republicans. Especially those that insist "God" put Bush into office. Yeah I'm democrat, blow me!! lol. :)

Texas isn't the only one unfortunately, Tennessee has the same thing in its Constitution. There are about 4 other states with this in it that I know of.

I found a case where something similar in Maryland was shot down by the Supreme Court after being upheld by two lower courts. In 1961 a notary public was denied the position when he refused to state that he believed in God. The Supreme Court ruled that they couldn't make that a requirement because it went against the US Consitution and therefore was not within the laws that a state can make.

Torcaso v. Watkins