Goodbye Jesus

Was Asked In Conversation:

nivek

"...being singled out and killed when the fundamentalists take over?"

Friends and I in an interesting real.meat.life convo, this subject within many othbrs came up.

Wow.

As a proponent of an Armed Citizenry, and one of those who practice, pack a firearm, edged tool, and practice using whatever might swing that is handy to whak-A-mole with, no, being *picked on* by an idiot, or even group of idiots doesn't bother me.

What does cause fear is that the group of said persons would take an immediate or extended family member and do harm to thm before things on "my side" would be able to respond.

Do I fear a take over of any particular group of religious fundamentalists?

No, not particularly. Quite a few groups, far too many of them religious based, all with differing opinions, structures, plans, directions.

Not one of them alone is strong enough to compel *obedience* so far.

Thats not to say that an RAH-esque Scudderite movemment can't or won't happen *soon*.

If so, *I* am prepared, but those around me luxurating in the relative Freedom and sucking as much slack time as they can, and not bothering to prepare of shit to happen will be eaten alive by the religious lions.

Costs little to *be prepared* and ready for events far beyond the normal systems abilty to keep you and family comfortable.

What I'll espouse is one firearms and training with them, everyone now in your househole large enough to handle a gun needs to know hoe to handle and use them.

Food and personal supplies, as you need and want them.

Medications as you can put them away.

Someday, and hopefully soon the threats of religious domination over the masses of population will be a "dead number". Until then, living with a medium of preparedness and preparation away from the crazy bastards with flaming swords and sharply pointed crosses is a prudent thing.

May come to point where indeed "Points Go Out"..

I hope to dog that never happens.

k, Freeman by practice and choice, L

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but that sounds like a not-so-subtle threat to me.

i.e. 'Don't you know you'll be killed when we take over?'

Granted, I have no clue as to the context of the situation, but it does raise an eyebrow... smells very similar to the age-old threat of 'are you ready for HELL?' Besides, your ethics are your ethics, what others think(or will do) because of them shouldn't really be a consideration... at least in the ideal world.

Merlin

Guest Emerson

I don't think that it'll happen but you never know. I'd just pretend to be a xtian, I've done it before at work to gain a loyal customer. Its not that hard. I'm not going to be dying for my beliefs. But no I don't think that we're going to be killed by the fundies. I hope that I'm not alive if they come into power and start killing people.

I always thought if I'd been born in an earlier age, I would've been either.......

Linched.....

Burned at the stake....

Flayed......

Whipped......

Impaled.....

Dismembered.....

Institutionalized....

Jailed.....

And that's just for being an "uppity" woman. Reminds me of the words to a spiritual we once sang....."And before I'd be a slave....I'd be buried in my grave.....And go home to my Lord....To be free." In other words, they can just go ahead and kill me if they think I'd ever be a slave to Xianity again.

"...being singled out and killed when the fundamentalists take over?"

This sounds like a twist on what the fundamentalists always feared. "When the Atheists/humanists/Satanists/pick-your-scariest-non-believers-and-put-it-here take over, the church (fundamentalists, not that liberal United Church of Christ) will be persecuted! Jesus freaks to arms!" I think this is why all those Christian Reconstructionists moved to take over first the Republicans, then the country. They want the control, even while the church itself is shrinking in numbers, just in case this feared persecution happens.

I don't think that the fundies now in power are going to start killing us. While there are a few that go all the way with Old Testament law and would like us infidels stoned, or whatever, a lot of church people would get uncomfortable if there was an open season on non-christians. Of course, they could find some way to label us as "terrorists", which might make at least rounding up non-believers more palatable. If any thing did happen, it would be this: some type of imprisonment/surveillance/registration system to control those who jump the Conservative Christian ship. But I doubt it will happen.

I think.

I hope.

But I'm not quite ready to buy a gun yet.

If any thing did happen, it would be this: some type of imprisonment/surveillance/registration system to control those who jump the Conservative Christian ship.

And then they'll ship you off of American soil to a place where they can force you into sleep deprivation until you die from it. Or dehydrate you. Or put you through so many "stress positions" that your heart finally gives out.

Then they can label you dead of "natural causes" and avoid looking like the "bad guys". Because, well, it's not like they tortured you or anything :shrug:

If they ever start rounding up non-believers for being "terrorists" or "enemies of the state", then that'll be the day I start voting from the rooftops. If they're hell-bent on killing me, godsdammit, I'm gonna give 'em a fucking good reason to.

Thats not to say that an RAH-esque Scudderite movemment can't or won't happen *soon*.

Robert A Heinlein, in "If This Goes On ..."?

Cool!

Likely this is one of my most-frequently-re-read Heinlen's stories.

I first learned about semantics from reading this tale - and that words do not have fixed or absolute meanings to anyone, anywhere.

Was very eye-opening, at the time (early '70's or so).

I'm with you, I don't think these fundies can 'get it together' enough to actually take over. Just look at the vast numbers of splinter groups, even now.

I'm on an anti-creation board, and we get a pretty large creationism element there, from time to time. They often post links to sites 'supporting' their views.

Sometimes I follow the links; for laughs and such.

But, one thing is clear to me: even among the Creationist crowd, there is not a 'single voice'. They fight amongst themselves nearly as much as they fight the secularists.

On the other hand, being a Liberitarian-outlook sort, I keep sharp and pointy things handy, just in case. I also like the bravery of being out-of-range, and have ranged smiting tools, too. :grin: