Goodbye Jesus

Philosophy Put in Perspective

florduh

• Super Moderator
From the 1950s; still not wrong.

"These modern philosophers remind me of a shopkeeper of whom I once asked the shortest way to Winchester. He called to a man in the back premises:

'Gentleman wants to know the shortest way to Winchester.'
'Winchester?' an unseen voice replied.
'Aye.'
'Way to Winchester?'
'Aye.'
'Shortest way?'
'Aye.'
...'Dunno."

He wanted to get the nature of the question clear, but took no interest in answering it. This is exactly what modern philosophy does for the earnest seeker after truth. Is it surprising that young people turn to other studies?"

Bertrand Russell, Portraits from Memory And Other Essays (1956), Essay IX, The Cult of Common Usage, p. 169-70
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Admin

“Vain is the word of that philosopher which does not heal any suffering of man." -- Epicurus

1 hour ago, florduh said:

He wanted to get the nature of the question clear, but took no interest in answering it.

Yes, I think this has been true of the field of Philosophy for centuries now, at least in the West.  Different ideas became like zoological specimens to be dissected rather than explored as tools for living a better life, whereas in Greece and Rome people chose from among various competing philosophical schools to educate their children - and themselves - in the art of living.  Why did philosophy decline into a mere academic pursuit?  I think one reason was “Philosophy? You don’t need no stinking philosophy to tell you how to live!  You’ve got the Church for that, it’s all you need!”

But now in the 21st century - coincidentally as many of us in the West have abandoned Christianity - I’m seeing a rise in interest in Philosophy as a guide to life.  I’ve been reading “A Guide to the Good Life” by William B Irvine (one of this community’s Recommended Books) and it’s very much in this vein, as the title suggests.  And it’s just one of many such works that have come out in the past decade or so.  Other best sellers include “Philosophy for Life” by Jules Evans,  “The Consolations of Philosophy” by Alain de Botton and “How to be an Epicurean: The Ancient Art of Living Well”.  So I’m encouraged by this revival in “applied philosophy”.  I look forward to a time when as many kids - and adults - go to some local philosophy-based secular Sunday school as attend the traditional Christian version!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TABA said:

But now in the 21st century - coincidentally as many of us in the West have abandoned Christianity - I’m seeing a rise in interest in Philosophy as a guide to life.  I’ve been reading “A Guide to the Good Life” by William B Irvine (one of this community’s Recommended Books) and it’s very much in this vein, as the title suggests.  And it’s just one of many such works that have come out in the past decade or so.  Other best sellers include “Philosophy for Life” by Jules Evans,  “The Consolations of Philosophy” by Alain de Botton and “How to be an Epicurean: The Ancient Art of Living Well”.  So I’m encouraged by this revival in “applied philosophy”.  I look forward to a time when as many kids - and adults - go to some local philosophy-based secular Sunday school as attend the traditional Christian version!

Religion should be added among the leashed...

May be an image of 7 people, people standing, dog and text that says 'Philosophy Biology Mathematics Psychology Political Science Sociology Economics Physics'