Goodbye Jesus

Child abuse in the bible

Wertbag

Deut 21:18 - If you have a stubborn and rebellious son, you should stone him to death.

Proverbs 13:24 - "Whoever spares the rod hates his son"

Leviticus 20:9 and Exodus 21:17 - "anyone who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death"

Exodus 21:15 - "anyone who strikes their father or mother shall be put to death"

Proverbs 23:13 - "Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol."

Proverbs 22:15 - "Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline drives it far from him."

All bible verses used to justify child abuse through the ages. My own grandfather was beaten senseless while my great grandfather read these verses to him. I'm so glad most of the western world has moved away from biblical morality, and I pity those who have not.

But we see this theme of caring less about children carry throughout the bible.  From the looting of cities where the babies are dashed on rocks and the little boys are killed, to a global flood where those we would consider innocent were wiped out for the sins of their parents.  We have she-bears set to kill kids for insulting a bald fella and a story about Lot (a "godly" man) who was happy to give up his daughters to be gang raped by an angry crowd.

Maybe when your life expectancy is ~40 and death is a constant shadow over you, you don't get as attached?  Child mortality would be high and pregnancy was high risk.  That must play into your mentality...

You get this strange position where Christians will say abortion is murder, "thou shalt not kill", while skipping the parts of the bible that talk about God murdering the first born of Egypt.  Sure He didn't kill them in the womb, He waited till they were born before murdering them all.  All-loving my arse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Wertbag said:

Deut 21:18 - If you have a stubborn and rebellious son, you should stone him to death.

Proverbs 13:24 - "Whoever spares the rod hates his son"

Leviticus 20:9 and Exodus 21:17 - "anyone who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death"

Exodus 21:15 - "anyone who strikes their father or mother shall be put to death"

Proverbs 23:13 - "Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol."

Proverbs 22:15 - "Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline drives it far from him."

All bible verses used to justify child abuse through the ages. My own grandfather was beaten senseless while my great grandfather read these verses to him. I'm so glad most of the western world has moved away from biblical morality, and I pity those who have not.

But we see this theme of caring less about children carry throughout the bible.  From the looting of cities where the babies are dashed on rocks and the little boys are killed, to a global flood where those we would consider innocent were wiped out for the sins of their parents.  We have she-bears set to kill kids for insulting a bald fella and a story about Lot (a "godly" man) who was happy to give up his daughters to be gang raped by an angry crowd.

Maybe when your life expectancy is ~40 and death is a constant shadow over you, you don't get as attached?  Child mortality would be high and pregnancy was high risk.  That must play into your mentality...

You get this strange position where Christians will say abortion is murder, "thou shalt not kill", while skipping the parts of the bible that talk about God murdering the first born of Egypt.  Sure He didn't kill them in the womb, He waited till they were born before murdering them all.  All-loving my arse.

Thank you for pointing out a very obvius reason for justifying child abuse today.  And for "stiring" my thinking along these lines.   Does this tie in with the doctrine of original sin?  Beat them into submission as a child, and make sure you keep them under submission by shaming them and scaring them with the threat of hell as an adult.  That will keep them under your thumb, and you in control of them, from the cradle to the grave.  My grandfather also did this to his kids to a degree.  The people who came up with this stuff seem like sadistic masters of manipulation.  That is the concocted  god of the old teatament??

The longer I live, the more I see how dangerous this kind of power hungry idealogy is.