Goodbye Jesus

What is a Choice

Edgarcito

Always enjoy the mental exercise here despite the company lol.  <Teasing you baby eating heathens)...is half of my fun coming here.  

Today's topic that has entered my brain: What is a choice.  I have always perceived a choice to be essentially binary.....when in light of our discussions, it appears a choice is far from binary.  I'd please like to discuss what is really behind a decision.....something ending or finite, or just still a meandering path we are on.

Thx.

3 hours ago, Edgarcito said:

Always enjoy the mental exercise here despite the company lol.  <Teasing you baby eating heathens)...is half of my fun coming here.  

Today's topic that has entered my brain: What is a choice.  I have always perceived a choice to be essentially binary.....when in light of our discussions, it appears a choice is far from binary.  I'd please like to discuss what is really behind a decision.....something ending or finite, or just still a meandering path we are on.

Thx.

I don't know but some philosopher probably wrote a 50,000 word essay on it.

• Haha 1

It's something that we must understand.

If we can't understand it, then it's not a choice.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 5:18 AM, Edgarcito said:

What is a choice

There seems to be two common ideas on whether freewill exists and hence the ability to make a choice.  Some say freewill doesn't exist, in that any decision we make is merely a process of the brain where it uses our knowledge and experience, influenced by the situation, to come to a conclusion.  Because the process and stimuli remain the same at that point in time you will always have made the same choice. 

The other school of thought is that freewill does exist, that there is a random nature to our decision-making process, and due to this inherent chaos, we have the ability to be spontaneous and creative, hence being able to make choices outside of our normal patterns.  

So, a choice is simply the option to choose from multiple options in a given situation.  Whether that is completely a free choice, or a set choice is up for debate.