Goodbye Jesus

How do I overcome my guilt and shame

Jayjon7

How do I get rid of my guilt and shame. I’m trying to get over Christianity, it has ruin my life. It made people hate me and my dear family resent me. I’m trying overcome the guilt and shame trying to please this God who I believe is truly evil and takes pleasure of me denying pleasure in a good movie that might have nudity or something like that or music that has curse words. I feel guilt and shame from being a Christian and the fear of hell is there. Can someone help me 

• Sad 1

Hi Jayjon, you've come to the right place. And the fact that you are here shows you have the strength to get through this. We all wish there was some sort of switch that one could just flip and have it all over, but for most it takes time and work. This space is for you to visit as often as you need, and to vent your issues to others here who have been through it and understand what you face.

As to guilt and shame, know that those feelings were put into you by the religion. You believed it because other people convinced you that bad things would happen to you if you didn't. (In the context of some current events, it has been said that if you tell a lie often enough people will believe it.)

But in reality it's just another version of Santa Claus, albeit one in which the "loving God" they advertise will send you to an eternity of unspeakable misery and torture if you don't love him back. If that's love, then we don't want any part of it. Hell is just something that people way back in history devised as a means of controlling others. There is absolutely no tangible, measurable, independently verifiable, evidence that any god or spirit exists. At some point you will realize the fantasy of it and you'll feel a weight lift from your shoulders. As I wrote above, this takes time, but it will happen.

When you write that people hate you, that says that religion was also a big part of your social network. It can be extremely hard to leave that, and one of the strongest forces in social interaction is peer pressure. One of the escape hatches from that is to leave the group that exerts the pressure. I think one thing you can do is to start working on establishing a social system away from religion. There are many ways to do this: night classes, hobby clubs, service organizations, volunteer opportunities, and more. When you are ready, exploring one of these will help you get grounded in a life away from the toxic effects of religious myths.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jayjon7 said:

How do I get rid of my guilt and shame. I’m trying to get over Christianity, it has ruin my life. It made people hate me and my dear family resent me. I’m trying overcome the guilt and shame trying to please this God who I believe is truly evil and takes pleasure of me denying pleasure in a good movie that might have nudity or something like that or music that has curse words. I feel guilt and shame from being a Christian and the fear of hell is there. Can someone help me 

Howdy Jayjon7, welcome to Ex-Christ.  Know you will like it here. As you know you don't need to please a God if there is no such thing. There is also no guilt or pain unless you have broken your own self made morals. If you haven't made your own moral system yet then don't make any system you know you might violate. :)

16 hours ago, Jayjon7 said:

Hello, Sir. So maybe give us your history of Christianity? Did you grow up as a Christian? Or start it later in life? Guilt and shame are two of the tactics of Christianity to keep you from leaving it. 

I used to feel guilty when I did some sin but I finally got tired of it and told Jesus I was going to do it anyway. It was along the lines of lust and the other was feeling guilty for saying Goddammit. lol. I read something in a new age book that said either stop feeling guilty about what you doing or stop doing it....either way, guilt needs to go. It's not healthy. 

Neither films with nudity nor curse words harm anyone. Sin is ridiculous.