Goodbye Jesus

The anatomy of God

Fuego

I *think* bible scholar related goes in this forum (Science vs Religion), but can be relocated if needed.

I've been watching videos of Bart Ehrman and found another scholar Francesca Stavrakopoulou who has a new book "God: An Anatomy" where she covers the descriptions of the body of the Bible god from the feet to his face, as well as the actual known history of Yahweh as a part of the pantheon of old, his consort Ashera, and how his loud claims to be the only real god were also kind of common with a handful of other gods of the ancient world. Her approach is fascinating because we don't often hear about how body-centric the old religion was versus the spiritual approach most of us had in church. For the ancients, god having a body was a given. Later on, flesh and spirit became a dualism, with flesh being seen as corrupt and so any reference to God having a physical body was minimized in church and temple teachings. 

Here's a couple of interview videos I watched:

God: An Anatomy, with Francesca Stavrakopoulou and Andrew Copson - Humanists UK

Meet The Real God of The Bible | Francesca Stavrakopoulou PhD - MythVision

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Fuego said:

For the ancients, god having a body was a given.

I havent had time to watch the videos, but what I am seeing from books about ancient Sumerian writings, they say there were actual  "advanced" beings (ETs)?  and one of them (Marduk) was able to muscle his way to the top and declare he was the only true god. The book I started reading today is SLAVE SPECIES OF THE GODS  by Michael Tellinger.  

Very interesting videos. I have heard few self declared atheists and Biblical scholars like she is.  that never have been religious. Interesting.  Her approach concerning the physical anatomy of God in her book. also seems to be unique. From my past readings I would guess that 80% of biblical scholars are theists or at least spiritualists, not many agnostics.  From her explanations, she says she was an atheist before her studies, after which she became a forever-confirmed atheist.

• Like 2

Yes, she is openly atheist which I find refreshing also. I also liked the cringe of believers telling her that she couldn't understand the scriptures because she doesn't have faith, because the scriptures tell us so. Cults are powerful things, and sadly this truly ancient tribal myth still shapes our culture and laws today. 

15 hours ago, Fuego said:

Yes, she is openly atheist which I find refreshing also. I also liked the cringe of believers telling her that she couldn't understand the scriptures because she doesn't have faith, because the scriptures tell us so. Cults are powerful things, and sadly this truly ancient tribal myth still shapes our culture and laws today. 

The Abramic god is the biggest superstition ever heaped upon mankind.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Weezer said:

The Abramic god is the biggest superstition ever heaped upon mankind.

It's especially odd the more I learn about how he was a simple tribal idol at one point, until (as the author describes it) there was a pantheon reduction to eliminate so many different gods. And verses like "The Lord God said, The man has now become like one of us" take on a new meaning. Bizarre to think of the odds of such a belief staying active for so long, though it has morphed a lot. Imagine the religious-right touting Quetzalcoatl. "All God wants is your heart!"

On 1/4/2023 at 11:33 PM, Fuego said:

I *think* bible scholar related goes in this forum (Science vs Religion), but can be relocated if needed.

I've been watching videos of Bart Ehrman and found another scholar Francesca Stavrakopoulou who has a new book "God: An Anatomy" where she covers the descriptions of the body of the Bible god from the feet to his face, as well as the actual known history of Yahweh as a part of the pantheon of old, his consort Ashera, and how his loud claims to be the only real god were also kind of common with a handful of other gods of the ancient world. Her approach is fascinating because we don't often hear about how body-centric the old religion was versus the spiritual approach most of us had in church. For the ancients, god having a body was a given. Later on, flesh and spirit became a dualism, with flesh being seen as corrupt and so any reference to God having a physical body was minimized in church and temple teachings. 

Here's a couple of interview videos I watched:

God: An Anatomy, with Francesca Stavrakopoulou and Andrew Copson - Humanists UK

Meet The Real God of The Bible | Francesca Stavrakopoulou PhD - MythVision

I downloaded the book and started reading it yesterday. Its a good read I like it so far. I've been wanting to see something that really brought out how God evolved over time and the various influences that brought about the changes in ideology. I'm going to have to go back and look at some of the scripture she references. It's funny that so much of the language referring to polytheistic mythological stories are still there. She is bringing out a lot more that I didn't realize was there. Thats probably my favorite part so far.

Very good suggestion. Thank you 🙂

DB

• Like 1