Goodbye Jesus

DOES THIS MAKE SENSE?

Weezer

I have this thing about boiling things down to their least common denominator.  How does this sound?

Eons ago dominate beings controlled common humans through fear.  Humans were considered inferior and unable to manage themselves and needed an  omnipotient god to guide them.  And you better not question his authority.  Infractions for violating his rules could get you killed.  Humans were conditioned/programmed to believe that is just the way things are.  It became a religion in a large section of the known world at that time.

Later another incentive was added to encourage obedience.  The promise of eternal life, or eternal Hell for disobedience, even for disbelief in the god.  The Catholic church successfully eliminated (by murder if necessary) much of the religious competition through the centuries in the western world, and forcefully conditioned/programmed the masses of people into believing they had "the truth".  Probably the most successful power play in the world.

Does that put what happened, "in a nutshell?"   Suggestions?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Weezer said:

Probably the most successful power play in the world.

And a version of it was used by Hitler.  We are a superior race.  Blindly follow me and help me get rid of these inferior people, and I will give you a utopia.

And by the USA and Manifest Destiny.  We are gods people.  Let's get rid of these savages so we can have a glorious, free  country from sea to shining sea.

And by the Israelites who slaughtered the Canaanites so they could have their god given promise land.  (if it actually happened)

But I don't think Hitler ever gave god the glory.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 9:35 AM, Weezer said:

I have this thing about boiling things down to their least common denominator.  How does this sound?

Eons ago dominate beings controlled common humans through fear.  Humans were considered inferior and unable to manage themselves and needed an  omnipotient god to guide them.  And you better not question his authority.  Infractions for violating his rules could get you killed.  Humans were conditioned/programmed to believe that is just the way things are.  It became a religion in a large section of the known world at that time.

Later another incentive was added to encourage obedience.  The promise of eternal life, or eternal Hell for disobedience, even for disbelief in the god.  The Catholic church successfully eliminated (by murder if necessary) much of the religious competition through the centuries in the western world, and forcefully conditioned/programmed the masses of people into believing they had "the truth".  Probably the most successful power play in the world.

Does that put what happened, "in a nutshell?"   Suggestions?

Pretty close :)  Slaves and the lower classes were taught that the meek shall inherit the Earth, according to the New Testament. That sounds pretty appealing to those who have nothing. An afterlife is appealing to all classes of people; many religions promise that, and others teach reincarnation. Many religions also believed in an underworld for those who don't follow the "proper" teachings and trespass upon their fellow man.

In the 4th century, the emperor Constantine's mother was of humble birth among the lower classes of Rome. Christianity, via Turn-the-other-cheek, was a good philosophy to dominate the masses with less resistance, but not too good for your soldiers to believe in such a passive religion.

For at least two reasons Constantine decided on Christianity as a good universal religion for the Roman empire probably to enable his dominance with less resistance, but secondly to make his mother happy and proud thinking that he might go to heaven upon his death someday.  According to legend, he converted to Christianity on his deathbed.

Without Constantine;s edict as a national religion, Christianity might not exist at all as a religion other than as a footnote of Judaism based upon the writings of Paul, only known today by those studying ancient religions.

• 4 weeks later...

All three Abrahamic religions are diabolical.  I can't stand either one.  Just think - The New Testament teaches to love your enemies but hate your mother, father, brothers, sisters, and 'brethren'.

What nonsense!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DOA said:

All three Abrahamic religions are diabolical.  I can't stand either one.  Just think - The New Testament teaches to love your enemies but hate your mother, father, brothers, sisters, and 'brethren'.

What nonsense!

Howdy DOA. I I'm one of the purest atheists,  meaning that I would bet my immortal soul against a six pack of beer that all religions are pure BS.   i have nothing against religions in general. I like all three Abrahamic religions and go to all three of them if invited, which is extremely seldom. I view all religions like I view Greek Mythology -- interesting but laughable. The practice of all three Abrahamic religions for the most part are primarily  based upon the preacher rather than the Biblical text. One preacher might speak of fire and brimstone and another of love for everyone. This is true for all Abrahamic religions. All follow their version of the Old Testament.

which says:

Matthew 15:4

Honor thy father and thy mother. He who speaks ill of them -- let them be put to death. Your statement probably comes from statements such as one should love God above all others including the family -- and other such egotistical "supposed" statements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Weezer nails it. It's all about fear. From a George Carlin routine: "Religion has convinced people that there is an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do every minute of every day, and the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do, and if you do any of these ten things he has a special place full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry for ever and ever until the end of time. But he loves you."

• Thanks 1