Goodbye Jesus

Strange insults

Wertbag

I had a Christian online say "Wow, i bet you play dungeons and dragons too!" Now, I do play D&D, but knowing that the snarky comment was meant as "You think like a child, i bet you play children's games" made me not want to confirm their bias, but i didn't just want to lie. I just changed the subject and didn't answer (not that they were looking for one) but it seemed a funny thing to pick on. I have seen an apologist make the remark that most atheist YouTubers have anime or video game posters in the background, and wondered if this person held the same belief. I can imagine preachers pointing to the entertainment industry, labelling it all as childish and therefore anyone who enjoys it has an immature mind.

It doesn't matter that there are R rated cartoons, the very fact they are cartoons makes them infantile to these peoples view. It is quite stunning that these people are so surprised that anyone can enjoy fun things. Its called the entertainment industry for a reason. 

But now i wonder if i should just feel pity for such people? They can't enjoy games, TV shows or movies that someone else told them is bad. The teaching they've had has made their lives less enjoyable. They can no longer take joy in simple comedy or free their imagination to explore new fantasy worlds. Their lives have been made worse by being convinced that fun is bad. I wonder how they spend their freetime?

I guess its better than the old idea that such things were evil or satanic. 

D&D is a social game where me and 4 friends hang out and enjoying crying with laughter at the latest ridiculous situation they've gotten themselves into. Its improv, its imagination, its problem solving, its a stress relief, its storytelling, its strategy, and its good fun. 

• Super Moderator
2 hours ago, Wertbag said:

D&D is a social game where me and 4 friends hang out and enjoying crying with laughter at the latest ridiculous situation they've gotten themselves into. Its improv, its imagination, its problem solving, its a stress relief, its storytelling, its strategy, and its good fun. 

I admire this, because whether by choice or compulsion, I prefer more solitary pursuits; but there is a part of me that wonders what it would be like to be more socially adroit. 

• Super Moderator

To address your question: in my view, every living being has something for which compassion is warranted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wertbag said:

That pretty much is their motivation still, though mockery now seems to be the "flavor of the day" rather than fear. The devil would be brought up if one of their own were suspected of enjoying D&D or anime. Their world is shaped by fears. Fears of sexual pleasure, fears (in some branches) of certain foods or drinks, fears of invisible beings influencing them away from god, all in all they fear losing out on the promise of paradise and instead being tortured forever. But when they feel like they are part of the in-crowd with Jesus and their peers, it feels so damn good to be winning. 

5 hours ago, Wertbag said:

I had a Christian online say "Wow, i bet you play dungeons and dragons too!" Now, I do play D&D, but knowing that the snarky comment was meant as "You think like a child, i bet you play children's games" made me not want to confirm their bias, but i didn't just want to lie. I just changed the subject and didn't answer (not that they were looking for one) but it seemed a funny thing to pick on. I have seen an apologist make the remark that most atheist YouTubers have anime or video game posters in the background, and wondered if this person held the same belief. I can imagine preachers pointing to the entertainment industry, labelling it all as childish and therefore anyone who enjoys it has an immature mind.

It doesn't matter that there are R rated cartoons, the very fact they are cartoons makes them infantile to these peoples view. It is quite stunning that these people are so surprised that anyone can enjoy fun things. Its called the entertainment industry for a reason. 

But now i wonder if i should just feel pity for such people? They can't enjoy games, TV shows or movies that someone else told them is bad. The teaching they've had has made their lives less enjoyable. They can no longer take joy in simple comedy or free their imagination to explore new fantasy worlds. Their lives have been made worse by being convinced that fun is bad. I wonder how they spend their freetime?

I remember the X-rated cartoon movie "Fritz the Cat," 1972.  It was way out there. No Christian would call that movie infantile, They would call it perverted and those that watched it, But I liked it :)

Said Christian could have been taking a swipe at you for being involved with magic and demons, Wertbag.

Btw, I played 1st edition D&D in the 80's and am now looking to get back into it again.

This involves me learning the 5th edition rules.

Who knows?

Maybe Clemark the Magic User, Idorm the Monk and Holgrim the Ranger will live again!

😉

If you are secure in what you are doing, be proud of it and agree with them.  And just leave it at that.  I did that recently with a smart alec I was doing business with.  He told me I was "just a crazy old man".  I looked him straight in the eye, didn't finch, and said,  "you are right".  And he dropped the superior attitude.  The last 2 times I have dealt with him, he has been civil.  People respect confidence.