Goodbye Jesus

Gotta go to church

DarkBishop

Well, 

Unfortunately I'm going to church tomorrow. My uncle by marriage is a gospel singer and they are singing at a church in my area. I haven't seen my aunt other than at the family reunion for years. And my ex wife/partner knew them before they knew me, so I gotta go or explain to my aunt why I wasn't there. 

I have some anxiety about the many different scenarios this could play out. My aunt probably knows I've lost my faith as I've told her sister (my mom) that much. My hopes are that she just enjoys the time with me and doesn't try to push me to the altar. My hopes are also that her husband, (my uncle and man that lead me to believe in the first place) doesnt confront me. 

I feel like the odds of zero confrontation seems impossible considering they at the very least know I don't feel a need to go to church and have lost my faith. But we will see. 

I'm going to post here how it turns out. I will say this now. Me reconverting is not an option. Not is any semblance of me reconverting an option. I'm a little aggravated at the situation right now because I would rather avoid the whole scenario to begin with but I've been forced into it in a way. I don't feel like divulging those specific details. 

But I do want to spend time with my family deep down. So here's me hoping for the best and hoping it will be a good time. 

DB

Just simply say,  "I'm here for the fellowship and am not going to discuss religion."  (or something similar) And repeat it over and over as needed.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Just simply say,  "I'm here for the fellowship and am not going to discuss religion."  (or something similar) And repeat it over and over as needed.

Thank you Weezer, I really am having a lot of anxiety over this. Your words mean more than you know. 

DB

3 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

Thank you Weezer, I really am having a lot of anxiety over this. Your words mean more than you know. 

DB

I have been there and done that many times.  I was brought up to be humble and It took me a long time to realize that many people respect firm confidence.  A smile and a respectful firm answer can do wonders.  If they suspect you are not sure of yourself and they are getting an edge on you, they keep digging. 

I suspect part of that may come from the typical legal system we all live by.  And it spills over into religion.  You are either all guilty or all innocent.  I almost lost a legal battle a few years ago in small claims court because I was being too "humble".  Instead of firmly saying  "NO, that is not the way it happened",  I said something like, "to the best of my memory, it didn't happen that way."   The judge took that as me not being sure of myself. 

• Like 1

Well I'm here. Have been for about an hour. Took a bathroom break real quick. So far not to bad. Guess we'll see what happens after all the singing stops and the altar calls are given. 

I find myself laughing at some of the lyrics and testimonies. I'll tell about them later. 

DB

Ok so one of the testimonies that I was more astonished at than found funny was when one of the singers talked about a guy that had dedicated his life to God after being in prison. Then he died 2 daystar in a car accident. 

He said at first he wanted to feel bad for him but then just started praising Jesus because he Got saved just in time. 

I'm just sitting there like...... yeah..... but he's still dead. Should we really be shouting hallelujah? 

DB

I mean really this guy endures prison. Gets  a portion of his life taken away for whatever reason. Then makes things right with God afterward. Only For God to say yeah..... your life is over, boom. 

Then there were a couple of songs I just really couldn't get into. Talking about how God will make the mountain crumble before you. That just wasn't my life experience at all. God didn't remove any mountains for me. I had to climb them bitches. And got the scars to prove it. 

But overall I had an enjoyable time with my aunt. She only asked me once if we were going to church somewhere and I just told her She (my ex) is going to her dads church. I'm surprised she didn't press more. I'm glad she didn't. I was worried about all the scenarios that could have played out. But my anxiety for the most part was unwarranted. I didn't raise my hands, when the various preachers asked familiar questions like who here loves the Lord,  or Who here has been saved by the grace of God. I didn't raise my hands. I didn't go to the altar. The all powerful, all knowing, all loving, ever present God failed to soften my heart and get me to accept his invitation to re-dedicate my life to God. Even tho I'm sure my Aunt and uncle were praying for me. I'm actually pretty sure my uncle was praying for me while the invitation was being given. 

I am still an ExChristian despite the powers of God. Go figure. I didn't even feel compelled to bow down to him what so ever. Maybe he doesn't like me. Or maybe he just doesn't exist. 

Either way, I'm glad I went and spent time with my aunt. I believe it made her day. 

Best regards,

Dark Bishop 

• Like 2

Glad it went reasonably well.  Your aunt is happy and you’re true to yourself.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/18/2023 at 7:30 PM, DarkBishop said:

I mean really this guy endures prison. Gets  a portion of his life taken away for whatever reason. Then makes things right with God afterward. Only For God to say yeah..... your life is over, boom.

I recall believers saying things like "Well God was protecting him from falling back into sin." Didn't the devil sin while being a spirit? Oy, the illogic.

God: "To protect you, imma kill you... in love"

• Super Moderator
25 minutes ago, Fuego said:

I recall believers saying things like "Well God was protecting him from falling back into sin." Didn't the devil sin while being a spirit? Oy, the illogic.

I've even heard the death of a "sinner" justified with, "god was protecting all of the innocents that guy would have led astray had he lived."  So, rather than soften the guy's heart so he'd turn his life over to jesus, god just went on ahead and tossed him into hell so he wouldn't be a bad influence on weak-faithed believers.

jesus loves the little children.  Indeed.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

So, rather than soften the guy's heart so he'd turn his life over to jesus, god just went on ahead and tossed him into hell so he wouldn't be a bad influence on weak-faithed believers.

You would think God would prioritize which evil people he decided to kill. Seems the most evil ones slip through his "all powerful, all knowing" hands quite often. 

DB

1 hour ago, Fuego said:

Yeah, a similar phrase here is the misquoted scripture: God will destroy the flesh to save the soul. But that isn't what it says or what it means.

1 corinthians 5:5

To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

If you read the whole chapter it is talking about putting fornicators and other sinners out of the church so that the churches spirit is saved. It references these people as leaven that will infect the whole "lump" the church. 

It goes on toward the end of the chapter and says this. 

13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

So it isn't saying that God is going to kill them to save their soul. But that is what they try to say. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people misquote that out of context. Honestly, most Christians don't even really know the bible. They just depend on their pastor to tell them what to believe in worship service. 

DB

I'm glad to hear that your visit went ok.  IMO even in church fundamentalists can be easy to get along with, given the right approach.  Just play along and don't take things too seriously.  That's what half the church is doing anyway, whether they realize/admit it or not.

You're under no obligation to accept their take on things, and you have no obligation to correct them where you disagree.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2023 at 2:05 PM, RankStranger said:

you have no obligation to correct them where you disagree

It is tempting tho 🤣 

On 2/25/2023 at 3:45 PM, DarkBishop said:

It is tempting tho 🤣 

Yep!