Goodbye Jesus

Watching Dogs

DarkBishop

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about things lately..... like life. Life in general and how our experiences make us who we are. The people we meet, things we do. 

I was just watching one of my dogs and thought. They're the same way. I saw her look around, make sure everything is OK, and then closed her eyes to sleep. Sometimes she tries to run in her sleep. Its kinda funny to watch. But I know she's dreaming. Just like we do. 

While they're not as intelligent as we are and can't speak a language like we do, their lives are just as important to them as our lives are to us.

They want to have good experiences.

We want to have good experiences. 

They dream.

We dream.

When we get hurt we become defensive or violent. 

When they get hurt they become defensive or violent. 

They sometimes have mental disorders even. There are actually veterinary psychologists. 

As a Christian I don't think i could have ever thought about other animals like that. We are all animals on this earth surviving as best we can. The human, dog, ape, squirrel, ant, or tardigrade. We are all just trying to live and survive. And our experiences mean something to us on some level. 

When an ant hill is broken the ants swarm to defend. When the twin towers fell. We went to war to find our enemy. 

I try to be empathetic. I have faults and I've hurt people. I'm sure we all have.  But the best thing deconverting has done is to teach me to put myself in anothers shoes.

I feel like Christianity even restricts that from our awareness. 

When you think you have eternity to make things right, I don't think you realize just what your doing now. As a Christian you have to stay in an ancient mindset and can't open your mind to support things like gay rights or what would make someone want an abortion. Rather than just saying no! Thats wrong cuz God said so. Maybe you should think about them.

I'm not as good at being empathetic as I'd like to be but it is something I'm working toward. 

Christianity detaches you from what others feel. God will take care of it and God is the answer. 

Well, maybe God isn't the answer. Maybe a hug and a little support are the answer, Maybe a second chance is the answer, maybe just a kind word, or in my dogs case a scratch on the head and a treat. 

We are all just doing our best to survive. 

Respect

Best regards,

Dark Bishop

• Like 4

• Super Moderator

Beautiful. 

• Like 2

I love how deconversion has opened you up to other creatures, human and animal, and I love how you’ve expressed it.  I’ve experienced something very much like this.  I’ve become more aware of and bothered by the suffering of animals as well as my fellow-humans.  Which in turn makes it impossible to believe in the concept of an all-powerful loving deity.  

I do think some Christians, especially liberal ones, have a lot of empathy for their fellow creatures, but that’s because they’re better than the god they believe in and because they ignore so much in the Bible.  On the other hand, a lot of fundamentalists seem to only have any empathy for other members of their own sects.  To the extent that they believe that most of their fellow humans are headed for eternal damnation, it’s amazing how little it seem to bother them.  Quite a few seem to relish the thought. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I thought of this some time back.  If you are a christian and also believe in evolution, at what point did apes start havign a soul that needed to be saved??  O think I woll put that in the questions forum. 😁