Goodbye Jesus

What Is A Lie?

chefranden

This is not a pipe.

treachery_of_images.jpg

I don't get it... so shoot me.

I don't get it... so shoot me.

So after you've taken the poll, answer the title question.

right. it's not a pipe, it's a picture of a pipe????

I'll play.

Um... true.

A lie is the deliberate delivery of false information... or something like that.

Being a pipesmoker, I consider that a pipe (well a picture of a pipe), so "not a pipe" is false (to me at least). Of course there are other things that can be called pipes. It is a trick question, but I don't know what the trick is...

It looks like a briar pipe. Maybe one of the Italians? Nah, since the question is in french, I might assume it's a french pipe. It's not an estate from what I can tell.

its a picture of a pipe. i vote true cause its a pipe.

it could be something similar to a pipe, but which goes by a different name.

You mean you should have voted False, since the question is negated. "This is not[/b] a pipe" So if you think it is a pipe your answer should have been "false".

Argh. Chef is sitting there smiling at our failed attempts to figure out the trick... maybe that is the trick? He want us to think it is, while it isn't?

it could be something similar to a pipe, but which goes by a different name.

It looks like a bent dublin (maxima) briar pipe, with gold band. Probably a low grade since it doesn't show the grain. Est. price $80. (Actually it look very English, but could be a French Jeantet.) But the stem seems to be a bit too bent... hmm...

why didnt i see the word (not) the first time? this one of those trick mind games or something.

why didnt i see the word (not) the first time? this one of those trick mind games or something.

I hated the driver license tests in Sweden, the had that a lot:

Why are you not supposed to not enter this intersection when these things are not in the way of the submarine that didn't go west after the airplane avoided crashing, and pigs can fly with the pink elephants ... [ ] Yes [ ] No. :twitch:

I voted false (I was the first one to vote, chef) because it is not true that the picture is not of a pipe. Take out the negatives: It is true the picture is of a pipe.

If you want to get all word-play-ey on us, then I guess the picture does not equal a pipe... as the wording suggests, it represents a pipe. But I don't think that is where you are going with this one. Is this anything like that scene in the move The Labryinth where the two doors try to say who is lying and who isn't?

If you vote true you agree with the statement: This is not a pipe.

not_happy.jpg

True or False? This is not happy.

Chef, you clever little ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceci_n'est_pas_une_pipe

By the way, I have a pipe by Ser Jacopo that is called Magritte.

Another famous painting by Rene Magritte: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Son_of_Man

It's a painting so I voted true, so put that in your pipe and smoke it!

I don't get the second question.

Ok I've had my fun

Now look at this and then let's discuss lies.

http://www.uvm.edu/~tstreete/semiotics_and_ads/index.html

It's not even a painting of a pipe.

It's (apparently, judging by the apparent photons impinging on my retina) some pixels rendering a scaled down photograph of a painting of a pipe. (a pixelated photograph of a painting of the dried-vegetative-matter-combusting variety of "pipe," not the water-transporting variety, nor the data transporting variety. though, I suppose, given the right vegetative matter, perhaps the mind-transporting variety.)

If I'd say "Is this a representation or a picture of a pipe?" about the picture, then the statement would be true, right? And when we say "is this a pipe?" Usually we imply the real thing and/or the representation of it. A lot of times we say things without being exact or specifying exactly what we mean, but most people will get the underlying intention of what we said. So I'm not sure that "is this not a pipe" or "is this a pipe" have to qualify as lies. Just thinking here...

It's not even a painting of a pipe.

It's some pixels rendering a scaled down photograph of a painting of a pipe.

It's actually just photons hitting my retina that represents the image that is sent out from my monitor.

or not even that. It's just nerves firing off signals in my brain from the reaction when the photons hit my retina.

(oops you edited your post while I replied. :) )

And isn't the nerve signals nothing but mere particles and chemical reactions, and the particles aren't more than quarks, which are (maybe) (super)strings, and it all becomes a abstraction of what it represents.

If I'd say "Is this a representation or a picture of a pipe?" about the picture, then the statement would be true, right? A

It wouldn't be a statement, it'd be a question.

Edit. LOL, you replied before I could edit -- I anticipated the photons thing -- heh. I think we're on the same page.

That is, we know damn well what it is, and what it is not, and that the painter was having fun with words, for the most part.

What's amazing to me is that we still have a conversation about this nonsense all these years later. I mean, Yeah, it's not a pipe, it's a picture of a pipe. So fucking what? That's worthy of some big philosophical discussion? Eh, not really. Mountain out of a molehill, is what I think about that. Then again, the postmodernists appear to be running the country, with only journalists masquerading as comedians pretending to be journalists to give us the real news.... *sigh* I better shut up before I piss myself off, right the fuck off. Dammit, already a bit pissed off. Where's those chill pills?

:HaHa:

Anyway, sorry about the "statment" when it was a "question". I just threw it together.

But still, what I wanted to say is that when we say something like "is that an apple?" And we point to a picture, we are implying the representation, so instead of saying "is that a picture of an apple?" We just shorten it.

Is "isn't" "is not"?

Answer 1: No, because the letter "o" is missing.

Answer 2: Yes, because "isn't" is a contraction of "is not".

Both answers are true.

:HaHa:

Anyway, sorry about the "statment" when it was a "question". I just threw it together.

But still, what I wanted to say is that when we say something like "is that an apple?" And we point to a picture, we are implying the representation, so instead of saying "is that a picture of an apple?" We just shorten it.

Is "isn't" "is not"?

Answer 1: No, because the letter "o" is missing.

Answer 2: Yes, because "isn't" is a contraction of "is not".

Both answers are true.

As Bill Clinton so (in)famously said, "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

This is not a pipe.

For all I know, that is a pipe, so I vote "no".

And now I'll proceed to read the rest of this thread. ;)

Another take on it:

'This' is not a 'pipe'. - answer True, because 'This' is a four letter word that only shares the letter 'i' witht he word 'pipe'.

That is, we know damn well what it is, and what it is not, and that the painter was having fun with words, for the most part.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's amazing to me is that we still have a conversation about this nonsense all these years later. I mean, Yeah, it's not a pipe, it's a picture of a pipe. So fucking what? That's worthy of some big philosophical discussion? Eh, not really. Mountain out of a molehill, is what I think about that. Then again, the postmodernists appear to be running the country, with only journalists masquerading as comedians pretending to be journalists to give us the real news.... *sigh* I better shut up before I piss myself off, right the fuck off. Dammit, already a bit pissed off. Where's those chill pills?

Ah so. But do you suppose that this has nothing to do with our culture? That is isn't our culture based on such illusions. Example:

old%20glory.jpg

This, due to the medium, is only a image of an image of a national flag. The flag itself is an symbol/idol of an abstraction known as the United States of America. In reality the flag is a piece of cloth, but there are people that would like to see you in jail if you did ordinary piece of cloth things with it: use it as a paint drop cloth, blow your nose, make it into underwear, use as cleaning rag...

We are confused by these sorts of things all the time. Advertising counts on it.

not_male.jpg

This is not manhood. If one stops half a tick to think about it, to say that this is not manhood goes deeper than just saying it is just an image of an image of a man on a horse. The lie goes deeper than a simple matter of semantics. It gets a human man where he lives -- in his emoting self. If you asked a young man why he chooses this brand of coffin nail, he would likely say something logical sounding, "it tastes better than the rest." He would never say this brand makes me feel like a rugged cowboy. Nevertheless that is exactly why he buys it -- probably without ever examining his action in his conscious mind.

Our culture relies on myriads of these sorts of lies that go right to the quick without being processed in logic central.

I don't mean this thread to be an exercise in non-sense. I mean it to be an exercise in defining lies.

Guest Emerson

This is not a pipe.

treachery_of_images.jpg

Its a picture of a wooden pipe on an internet forum. This is a "thread" but not a real thread. lol.

:lmao: