Goodbye Jesus

Other religions

Wertbag

As a Christian how did you view other religions? Were they discussed? Were they considered satanic?

Thinking back to my childhood i feel like it was just a subject that was avoided. Almost like Christianity was the only religion, until it became clear others existed, then those were just hand waved away as strange foreign concepts. Like our religion was the western, modern, enlightened and correct one, while the others were from backwards third world countries, more superstition than religion. There was no comparisons, no discussion as to what anyone else believed, just a flat "we're right and they're wrong"

How was it for you? 

• Super Moderator

Same.

You described my experience also.  Am I remembering correctly that we are both from the Church of Christ?

• 4 months later...

My parents liked almost all religions, and were relatively neutral about satanism ("we don't care about those symbolic woo woo types, but the baby eaters are bad!"). My dad encouraged me to explore Baha'i. I think the thing that keeps me from wanting to be a different religion is the fact that all religious groups in the USA have abuse insurance, and I know the rates for each religion, and they are all more or less the same, with similar rates of frequency.

1 hour ago, borgus said:

I know the rates for each religion, and they are all more or less the same, with similar rates of frequency.

Is the rate of frequency about the same as for the general public?