Goodbye Jesus

Christian Blindness

DarkBishop

Greetings,

In Mark Chapter 8 Jesus heals a blind man.

22 And he cometh to Bethsaida; and they bring a blind man unto him, and besought him to touch him.

23 And he took the blind man by the hand, and led him out of the town; and when he had spit on his eyes, and put his hands upon him, he asked him if he saw ought.

24 And he looked up, and said, I see men as trees, walking.

25 After that he put his hands again upon his eyes, and made him look up: and he was restored, and saw every man clearly.

It would be nice if this story were true. No I don't believe it actually happened. What I have come to find is that faith in Christ causes intellectual/mental Blindness. We've discussed in several threads lately about objective evidence for Christianity. We've tried to get our christian visitors to show us objective evidence. And we have shown them in several threads objective evidence, reasoning, and logic that suggest that the biblical account isn't true or at the very least flawed. 

But Christians can't see our reasoning, logic, or evidence. Drawing from what I've seen here and what I experienced myself as a "Born again believer" Christians are literally blind to our arguments. As I mentioned to our Authentic Believer @aik most Christians will accept whatever science has to offer as long as it doesn't cross swords with the biblical narrative. Extensive studies have been conducted on native Americans, ancient Egyptians, Ancient Greek and Roman beliefs and practices, the vikings, the dinosaurs, and many other ancient civilizations. All of that information will be widely accepted for everyone until you try to use any of that to show how it does not coincide with the Bible or reflect the historocity of the Bible. 

Then the blinders fall over their eyes. Excuses are made about inaccurate carbon dating and rare circumstances that can alter the outcome of the dating. Mmmmm well ok. So everything that goes against the bible im to believe has flawed dating but anything that doesn't go against the bible is dated correctly? No, I don't think so. That isn't the way it works. If there is a circumstance that makes the dating inaccurate it isn't going to be secluded to only things against the biblical account. And every instance of dating such as anything over 7,000 years is not going to be inaccurate. For a young earth creationist this causes major problems. However, Christian blinders become very convenient for keeping the faith. Just deny and refuse to believe anything against the bible and keep believing. Personally that doesn't sound like the way, the truth, or the life. 

I've mentioned writing analysis being done on the epistles of Paul and scholars both Christian and nonChristian agreeing that not all the epistles included in the bible are in fact written by Paul. There are 7 out of 13 that most scholars agree were written by Paul. Which means possibly 6 are later forgeries written by someone else who didn't even share all of Paul's beliefs but instead used that forgery to move the church in different directions away from what Paul taught. 

Again, the Christian blinders fall even when any other writing analysis on any other culture would be accepted.

The promises made by Jesus and God have been brought up. We've talked about how the promises that are in the bible don't seem evident in this world today. 

And again the blinders fall down over the eyes and any small circumstantial event is claimed to be fulfillment of those promises. Even though those promises were claimed to be the very thing that would show us lowly nonbelievers that God is real and working in this world. Jesus said they would be to Glorify the father. But Christians can't perform what the Bible said they would be able to. The Bible makes big claims that just don't ever happen. Not to the scale the bible said it would be. 

I personally know a Christian man that skipped his college class on evolution because he didn't believe in it. He wouldn't even let them show him what has been found. 

Is that being honest to ones self? No not really. That is just not allowing yourself to be faced with uncomfortable information that you may not agree with. 

There are so many different arguments that can be made. And each one that is brought up is quickly dismissed with a blind eye toward the truth that is our reality. In favor of a myth that will never come to fruition. There will be no second coming. There will be no heaven or hell. There will be no worshipping God and Jesus for all eternity. And that is hard for a Christian to face. I completely understand that. I was there. We were there. 

As we know here at ExC. The loss of ones faith can be very painful and depressing at times. Even terrifying for some. But we were strong enough to accept the evidence presented to us and adjusted our lives in the face of the evidence and it was life changing. And to be honest. Liberating!! I consider that far more courageous than blindly following a flawed faith and refusing to consider a shred of evidence that counters deeply held beliefs. 

Here is another non biblical example. A cheating spouse. One spouse begins to see the signs. The other spends more and more time away from home, working late, coming home smelling of another man or woman. They might act more distant toward them. Maybe they don't kiss them, make love to them as often if at all, or they don't tell them they love them. All the signs are there pointing to the truth. And then they come home to find them in bed together. Still believing their spouse is faithful after all of that is the marital equivalent to continuing to believe in the face of everything that has been discovered about our history and the biblical narrative. It is all there right in front of their faces but they continue believing. 

I will be the first to admit that my life the past 6 years would have been much easier if I refused, threw on blinders, and kept believing. But it just isn't in me to ignore such sound arguments. And I believe my personal understanding of the Bible has been elevated as a result. I'm no scholar but I can read what they have found in their studies.

I've said it many times on this site. It is best to listen to the professionals. I wouldn't go to an auto mechanic instead of a cardiologist. But that is exactly the type of people that are teaching religion. People that pick up the bible, Make interpretations based on what they read, having no formal education on the subject, and they teach masses of people. Or atleast that is common in my area in small churches. Which the majority of Christians belong to. The last church I attended with my ex had an electrician by trade as pastor. I was a pastor and I'm an electrician. Or more accurately an industrial mechatronics technician. I've known many many many pastors that never once had any formal education concerning the bible. And they don't believe it is necessary because according to the bible it is the Holy Ghost that teaches us. They think that it is formal education that waters down the word of God. 

There are scholars however even Christian scholars that devote their lives to the study of the oldest fragments of texts that make up the bible. It is those people that are truly in "the know". And it is those people that I want to listen to now. And through that I have found new appreciation for the bible. And new understanding. Things that didn't make sense before now make perfect sense. I like it. Thats all I ever really wanted was to know the truth of "God's Word" and I feel I have found more biblical truth since deconverting than I ever found as a believer. 

This "Christian Blindness" is a result of indoctrination. It is especially strong in individuals that were raised in the faith. Its hard for people to stop believing in something they have been taught their whole lives was true. It isn't their fault really. I honestly don't know how receptive I would have been to the truth had I not walked a different religious path temporarily when I was younger. And then participated in two very different Christian denominations. Through that I saw devotion to three different forms of belief. And having a public education was very beneficial, allowing me to take the knowledge from school and compare it to what was being taught in church. It took time, years, but eventually it all clicked. And that is my hope for anyone who is questioning their faith. Especially if that faith is toxic to them.

Don't automatically put blinders on just because what we talk about here is contrary to what you believe. But don't accept it as gospel truth either. Even though we may present it that way. Take the Information and compare it to what you are being told. Analyze it for yourself. But at the same time be honest and do the same with what you are told at church. Analyze it. Is that really what you see in our reality. And read the scripture for yourself. Pastors will automatically insert their interpretation while preaching. Is what they are preaching really in context with what the Bible says.

Just like as was discussed previously concerning the tower of babel. Pastors will say that the people sinned in their hearts. But that wasn't so. God just didn't want them to be able to complete the tower. He saw that as a threat. And if you look at the genealogies the man who was building the city was Nimrod. A Great hunter before the Lord. So this was a man that had Gods favor, yet in the story God still confused the languages so that humans couldn't work together in mass. That is not what you will hear preached in church. But it is all there in the bible. So read it for yourself. 

I've been wanting to work on this post for a few weeks now because I don't think Christians even realize they are throwing blinders on when they do it. I saw someone write earlier this week that they had someone stick there fingers in their ears and start saying "LaLaLa I can't hear you", when confronted with a counter argument. Which is the same basic concept as the young man I know skipping evolution because he didn't want to be faced with a counter argument to his beliefs. Just because a blind Eye is turned toward something doesn't make it any less true. 

Best Regards,

Dark Bishop

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
  • Super Moderator

I don't see it, DB.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I don't see it, DB.

Maybe I can put some muddy spit in your eyes and you'll be able to see lmao 🤣 😂 

• Haha 3

I just found out that good friend and wonderful mother I knew all my life died last week.  And her situation reminded me of the Blindness you mentioned.  It seems that some people would rather hold on to a fantasy than admit the obvious truth.  As you said, it happens in relationships as well as religion a lot.  The husband of the woman that died had multiple affairs and treated her like a house maid, but she declared until her death (last week) that they had a wonderful marriage.   He died one year ago and the strange thing about it was that after he died, the more she declared what a wonderful marriage they had.  Almost everyone around them knew what the siruation was, but she remainded oblivious.   And I could give you several other examples.  In each case I know of it seems they were afraid to leave the relationship for one reason or another.  And for many of them, after so many years of using the fantasy, the stronger it seems to become. Are/were they looking for security?  Belonging?  Did they develope the ego strength in their childhood to believe they could survive without the "savior" (or saviors) they chose?  I say saviors because the more I think about this, the more it becomes obvious that the people I am talking about have all been known as devout christians.  The more I think about it, the more the word security  or survival comes to mind.  And if that mindset prevails, the promise of heaven sounds great??  After all, they earned it!  It seems to take a pretty confident ego, or secure sense of self, to face the possibility of "nothingness" in the now, or the hereafter.

I hope this makes sense.  Thanks Bishop for triggering my musing.  I needed to do that in the midst of my peers and relatives "passing on", and thinking about why some stick with the earthly (and religious) relationships they have.  Humans are certainly perplex beings.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Weezer said:

hope this makes sense.  Thanks Bishop for triggering my musing.  I needed to do that in the midst of my peers and relatives "passing on", and thinking about why some stick with the earthly (and religious) relationships they have.  Humans are certainly perplex beings.

Hey Weezer,

Was it you that had the person cover their ears and say they couldn't hear you? I couldn't remember what thread it was on but I thought it might have been you or Walter that said that. And I'm glad the post helped you in your musings. 🙂 

DB

14 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

Was it you that had the person cover their ears and say they couldn't hear you?

Not me if it was recent.  It may have been Older??  Or Walter??  But my wife did that with me years ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Not me if it was recent.  It may have been Older??  Or Walter??  But my wife did that with me years ago.

Oh well, whoever it was please feel free to let me know here so I know I'm not crazy lol. But yeah, I've seen similar instances with my own significant other/ex wife. 

I made the mistake of thinking she was questioning her faith one time here lately and it didn't pan out like I thought lmao. 

DB

• Super Moderator

It was Older, in son_of_god's drive-by thread.

Screenshot_20230410-064324_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

It was Older, in son_of_god's drive-by thread

Ah ok thank you RNP. I knew I saw it somewhere lol 😆

Weezer: Sorry to hear about your friend, and thanks for your thoughtful comments. 

You wrote:

On 4/8/2023 at 8:54 PM, Weezer said:

In each case I know of it seems they were afraid to leave the relationship for one reason or another.... The more I think about it, the more the word security  or survival comes to mind. 

It's sad that the religion is based on fear and that it motivates so much of their behavior. I think that if we are honest, there are some good things in Christianity — that happen to also be found in most belief systems — that could do a lot of good if people would follow them rather than just giving them lip service.

• Like 2