Goodbye Jesus

LA’s Atheist Street Pirates go national in efforts to remove illegal religious signs

webmdave

• Admin

LOS ANGELES (RNS) — A recent art exhibition featured signs and banners volunteers had removed from across Southern California.

The post LA’s Atheist Street Pirates go national in efforts to remove illegal religious signs appeared first on Religion News Service.

View the full article

Thanks. Most interesting.

This reminds me of an issue out here where there is a freeway that runs at the same elevation as the surrounding residential area. It's an area of large lots, perhaps two acres each. And the right-of-way fence is only 50 feet from the pavement. So this property owner put up a 4x8 sheet of plywood on 4x4 posts, about 8 feet off the ground, with some sort of Jesus message on it, right at the fence (I don't remember what it said, I try to ignore those things). And he obviously climbed over the r.o.w. fence and vandalized the freeway landscaping, cutting bushes and one tree down to little more than a stump so the sign could be seen. I reported it but nothing happened. Then we had a strong windstorm that blew down the sign and he hasn't replaced it. I was tempted to drop a note in his mailbox and say, "I don't think God wanted that sign there since he sent that windstorm that blew it down. Perhaps you should listen to that message and not replace it." But it's been over a year and no new sign, so I guess he listened to God's message! But if the sign reappears, I'm going to push the issue with the highway department.

• Like 1

In central Kansas a lot of the farmers are Catholic and they put up signs similar to that in their fields along the highway.  

20 hours ago, Weezer said:

In central Kansas a lot of the farmers are Catholic and they put up signs similar to that in their fields along the highway.  

They do this around here by parking a field wagon or truck with a sign on it in a field, but those are farther from the r.o.w. and not permanent. Thus I suspect they can avoid the requirements for permanent signs. This one was most certainly not legally installed.

• Like 1