Goodbye Jesus

Judge: School must allow Satanic club

older

Headline:

Lehigh Valley school district must allow After School Satan Club meetings, federal judge rules

Saucon Valley School District must allow the After School Satan Club to meet on its property ... a federal judge ruled Monday.

He said the record showed administrators, faced with community outrage, engaged in unconstitutional “viewpoint discrimination” against the controversial club.

The club, sponsored by The Satanic Temple, does not believe in a literal Satan but use the figure as a symbol of reason, independence and free thought.

The whole story: https://www.mcall.com/2023/05/01/saucon-valley-school-district-must-allow-satan-club-meetings-federal-judge-rules/

• Like 1

perhaps they will decide to not allow any "religious" meetings.

• Super Moderator

Religious freedom in any country will never be protected by the religious.  It must, of necessity, be defended by those with no interest in religion and every interest in freedom.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Religious freedom in any country will never be protected by the religious.  It must, of necessity, be defended by those with no interest in religion and every interest in freedom.

I believe that most human beings are terrified by personal liberty.

I believe this is one fundamental factor in the acceptance of religious belief.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Religious freedom in any country will never be protected by the religious. ...

Of course it will. As long as the religious freedom you embrace is the same as theirs.

• Like 1

I get the point the satanic temple makes, but in a country with constant school shootings, armed nutcases and religious radicals, there are some protests which I'd be nervous about supporting. If the school club was purely about scepticism and education then they could achieve those goals with a different club name. Which makes me think its more about the political message, a message i support but one which i don't think needs to involve death threats to kids.

• Like 1

A valid point, Wertbag. There is no need to waive a red flag in front of an angry bull.