Goodbye Jesus

Why Should I Care

RichDellaValle

I often wonder why it is so important to me to convince Christians that their religion is false. I believe it is my obligation, or perhaps a “true” God inspires me, but is that rational? I wouldn’t want the “bad rap” the OT lays at the Hebrew God’s door with all the brutality he dishes out! Doesn’t that make me just as much a nutjob as I think they are? At least their Book tells them to proselytize and pester people to no end. Only my conscience tells me to try to deprogram them. But why should I care if they want to believe in a phantom in the sky or that this country was NOT founded on Christianity, yet they injected their beliefs into the Pledge of Allegiance and the laws of our country over the decades? I remember the Blue Laws in Pennsylvania that existed until rationality finally prevailed in 1979 when the SCOTUS restored that inequity. Why shouldn’t my right to shop or drink beer on a Sunday be respected? Thankfully I joined the Navy right out of High School and could drink 3.2 beer, but then again, I was forced to attend non-denominational church services on Sunday! My 20 years in the Navy kept me away from Pennsylvania until I retired in 1982.

It vexes me that Christians believe God hears them and answers hundreds of their prayers, which is delusional. If prayers are responded to, where are the videos? It also bothers me that this world has so much poverty, starvation, etc., despite the many prayers to end it, which proves to me that God doesn't care. I have yet to hear of a mountain moving (Matt 17:20), and that feat only requires the least amount of faith! I detest how Christians lie to themselves about prayer when they know 99% of what they ask for is denied, rather, not even heard. There are scientific surveys that prove that prayer actually hinders recovery! And how do they know good things don’t happen by chance anyway? And don’t even get me started about the talking animals, walking snakes, scientific errors, ridiculous math, contradictions, brutality, child abuse, misogyny, and slavery in their precious Book!

Just because I escaped the clutches of Christianity (yes, I was a believer for 24 miserable years) doesn’t qualify me to be judge and jury over someone else, so why should they even listen to me? I don’t know that there is no God, so why not just obey the Golden Rule and let the anger go? It’s not like I care if they go around singing carols on Christmas Eve; just walk past my door! They can erect all the mangers and decorations they want. But, on the other hand, if I respect their traditions, I fully expect them to respect mine and not bug me to get back into the fold.

I get particularly ticked off when Mark Wahlberg and others claim that everything good and positive in life is from God, atheists are sinners, etc. I didn’t ask to be born, so why should I go to a fiery hell for eternity because I researched at great length the possibility and ultimately rejected Jesus when I was probably very happy not existing? God must have known how that would end, so why put me here in the first place? I can only speculate he likes to see people suffer.

I put a lot of effort into being an atheist. Over the past twenty-some years, I’ve written over 700 single-spaced pages of proof of the uselessness of fake religion and that Christianity is just one of many mystery religions that existed from day six or seven (the Church of the Truth-Telling Snake)! Why do I care? Doesn’t Wahlberg realize that twice as many people believe in other forms of religion? Why should I believe God inspired the New Testament authors while disregarding Mohammad, Joseph Smith, Brahma, Ron Hubbard, or Mary Baker Eddy, who also claim divine inspiration? How can Christians be so damn self-righteous?

My rant has abated my anger a bit now. I guess I solved my own dilemma. Any thoughts out there?

• Like 2

I feel ya @RichDellaValle. I personally try to live and let live except for on this website and if someone initiates a conversation with me about it. Especially if they are trying to convince me to come back. 

But it does bother me that so much of the world are still religious. Religion is toxic for our various global relationships. And my dream is that mankind will one day lay religious superstition aside and focus on the more important things like space exploration, curing cancer, and keeping our planet liveable. I mean we only have one planet right now that supports life and we live on it. If we destroy it all hope is lost. 

DB

• Super Moderator

It's okay for you to post topics in other forums.