Goodbye Jesus

Original sin

Anodos

I am absolutely astonished at how few Christians seem to be bothered by the details of the story of the Garden of Eden.

• Thanks 1

I am astonished that a statement would show up in the Got Questions forum.  But would agree that the Eden story is weird.

20 hours ago, Anodos said:

I am absolutely astonished at how few Christians seem to be bothered by the details of the story of the Garden of Eden.

There are a few threads in the lions den where this issue is discussed to an exhaustive extent with a few of the Christians that frequent the site if your interested in seeing whats already been previously discussed and add your thoughts. 

DB

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 6:26 PM, Anodos said:

Howdy Anodos,

It's always been that way. Few people are well educated. About a dozen years ago a study showed that the average adult intellect equaled no more than that of an average properly educated 12 year old. For instance, today few kids can do math very well without a calculator, and maybe only half of 12-year-olds could really understand and do well on a test of a simple newspaper article after reading it only twice. The standard of living for well educated folk is much greater than it used to be. As this gap increases, children will realize the importance of elementary educated.

There are a great many that still believe in the Adam and Eve story and the book of Genesis, as well as the book of Revelation. Both are no more than children's stories in light of today's knowledge and proofs. Kids believe what their parents teach them, more than very simple logic and a very basic knowledge of reality that they can learn by reading simple books. Things-are-a-changin for the better, but unfortunately at a snails pace as far as elementary understandings of "reality" are concerned.  Religious beliefs around the world are a prime example IMO. :)

Cheers,

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2023 at 10:37 PM, Weezer said:

I am astonished that a statement would show up in the Got Questions forum.  But would agree that the Eden story is weird.

I want to apologize for the first sentence above.  I must have been in a foul mood.  

The doctrine of original sin is a self fulfilling prophecy.  If you can get people to believe that almighty GOD said they are inheritantly defective and incomplete, and need a "savior", then they will be submissive and obey the savior.  And like Pantheory said, keep them uneducated so they don't figure out that they have been duped.