Goodbye Jesus

Newbie-Former Holy Roller...

timothy1027

I am a 63-year-old former "born again" Christian (Holy Roller).

I was born in 1959 & raised on Long Island, 40 miles from New York City. My parents were not religious. I was raised without any religion. My mother was an alcoholic. My father died from a heart attack when I was 12 years old.

In 1974, when I was 14, my best friend’s mother convinced me to enlist in some introductory religious training at a local Presbyterian Church. I was then baptized Christian.

In 1982 at age 23 I became "hypnotized" by a SMOKIN' HOT young blonde walking on a beach in a bikini. She turned out to be a dedicated "born again" Christian (Holy Roller). We became friends and I then also became a Holy Roller. At her Bible study is where I met my ex-wife Elisse (another Holy Roller). We then married to avoid "living in sin" and had 2 kids. We would frequently attend sermons & Bible studies 7 days/week at Pentecostal & "non-denominational" churches. Many of the churches were new, small, and informal. Others had many thousands of members, telecast sermons, cultures & social structures. 

In 1991 I was separated from Elisse after she got drunk with my alcoholic mother and the 2 ganged up on me one night with unprovoked harsh ridicule and criticism. Elisse was also an alcoholic (like my mother). We divorced in 1994.

In 1996 I started working 12-Step programs after destroying several motor vehicles while driving drunk. "The God of my understanding" enabled me to start thinking "outside the box" of Christianity. My "Higher Power" then helped me to adopt a life WITHOUT drug & alcohol use. I've been in recovery from addiction since 1996.

In 2017 after MANY negative experiences with NA "sponsors," I switched from 12-Step (spiritual) to SMART (secular) recovery programs and continued my recovery from addiction.

In 2022 I started exploring an "agnostic" worldview after many months of study, contemplation, TikTok and Facebook participation.

---------------------

My thoughts on the Bible: I have recently concluded that the Bible is an ancient book of mythology that is manipulative, contains gas lighting and was written by anonymous people. Much of Scripture appears to be anonymous people who were trying to rationalize their beliefs, which were NOT founded on any verifiable evidence. The Bible is NOT a modern history book. It is a carefully amalgamated book of truth and fiction. It is loaded with contradictions, convoluted ambiguity, manipulations, gaslighting, superstitions & fictions. Many thousands of people worldwide agree with me on this. My statement is based on the past 63 years of critical thinking, education, exploration, and experience with religion including Bible studies, sermons, prayer, Peter Parker debates (streamed live on TikTok since October 2022) & the late comedian/philosopher George Carlin.  🙂 

• Like 2

Welcome! from an 81 year old agnostic who walked out the church door 32 years ago.  Had never had the peace of mind I have now.  I've been studying the history of religion several years now.  It looks to me like the Bible is revised plagurism.  Borrowing from stories as old as Sumerian creation stories (much older than the Bible) down to the Greek stuff.  A lot of recycled myths.  And masterful at manipulating people through fear.

• Super Moderator

I had a 12-step sponsor once tell me he was willing to work the first 3 steps with me; but if I still hadn't found god by that time, he was done with me.  The bulk of my recovery comes from practicing mindfulness and meditation.  I draw certain aspects from SMART Recovery and the rest from Refuge Recovery, a program based on Buddhist philosophy. 

Thanks for your story, Timothy1027. And a great analysis of the Bible in your last paragraph.

Prof., I hope you told that sponsor where he could put his 12-step program.

Welcome to ExC @timothy1027.

Sounds like you've been deconverting for awhile.  Was your final conclusion fairly new since 2022. Or were you a non-believer before that?

DB

On 7/1/2023 at 8:26 PM, timothy1027 said:

In 1991 I was separated from Elisse after she got drunk with my alcoholic mother and the 2 ganged up on me one night

20 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

Welcome to ExC @timothy1027.

Sounds like you've been deconverting for awhile.  Was your final conclusion fairly new since 2022. Or were you a non-believer before that?

DB

This is when I quit my involvement with Christianity. A few years later (1996) I was against "organized religion" and started working 12-Step programs to help with my addiction to alcohol. I've been in recovery from addiction, free of drugs & alcohol, since 1996 thanks to 12-Step programs, SMART recovery programs & psychologists!  🙂 

• Like 2

• Super Moderator
On 7/2/2023 at 9:50 PM, older said:

I did.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I did.

To be polite, and avoid censorship, I would just say "You can put it where the sun don't shine!"   🙂 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, timothy1027 said:

To be polite, and avoid censorship, I would just say "You can put it where the sun don't shine!"   🙂 

You don't have to worry about sensorship. This ain't no fuck'n church lmao 🤣😂 

Sorry had to. This site isn't sensitive to cussing unless your in an argument with someone as far as I've seen. 

DB

Ps. However I may get some grief on the double negative. 

• Haha 1

On 7/2/2023 at 6:50 PM, older said:

Thanks for your story, Timothy1027. And a great analysis of the Bible in your last paragraph.

Thanks for the compliment!   🙂 

• Thanks 1