Goodbye Jesus

Begging a good God for crumbs of kindness

Fuego

Why would a good God have to be begged to help his suffering kids? I see daily updates from those devastated by disease or disaster, heaping praise upon God for the slightest crumb of non-disease or non-disaster in the middle of an absolute shitstorm of suffering. And the calls to pray for more crumbs are endless. Meanwhile doctors who studied their asses off are working with the latest tech to actually do something helpful. 

What an entirely impotent diety. This is why the Baptists settled on "he doesn't do that anymore for the most part, instead we have the Bible". They reconciled an essentially dead god by replacing him with a book that describes what he could do if he wanted. The believers tenaciously cling to faith in the midst of obvious abandonment.  

I don't comment on their posts because that would be mean. But I wish the harsh reality were taken as a wake-up call instead of excusing the silent imaginary friend, and assigning the results from the doctors to him. 

• Like 3

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
  • Super Moderator

If he is omniscient, he knows it is happening. 

If he is omnipresent, he is there while it is happening. 

If he is omnipotent, he has the power to stop it from happening. 

If he is omnibenevolent, he has the desire to prevent it from happening. 

If it happens, the only logical conclusion is that he is not what the bible says he is.  He either doesn't know, or he isn't there, or he is powerless, or he simply doesn't want to do anything about it.  Or a combination thereof.

• Like 2

If anything, God needs to get his priorities straight. I mean, if he can help one person find their car keys or something after a single prayer, but practically ignores the desperate prayers of many as they're suffering from poverty, starvation and other horrible things... like what's up with that? People like doctors and such have done much more with keeping us alive than some God has. What's stopping this supposedly all-powerful, omnipresent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, etc, etc God from helping his own creation?

2 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

If he is omniscient, he knows it is happening. 

If he is omnipresent, he is there while it is happening. 

If he is omnipotent, he has the power to stop it from happening. 

If he is omnibenevolent, he has the desire to prevent it from happening. 

If it happens, the only logical conclusion is that he is not what the bible says he is.  He either doesn't know, or he isn't there, or he is powerless, or he simply doesn't want to do anything about it.  Or a combination thereof.

If I may add this, Prof.

If he has perfect foreknowledge of all things, he knew about every disaster before they happened.

and...

If Romans 8 : 20 means what it says, then he caused the world to suffer earthquakes, tornados, plagues, volcanic eruptions, tsunami, etc., etc.

Which might explain why he does nothing to prevent them and nothing to alleviate the human suffering caused by them.

So perhaps there's no mystery or paradox here?

God doesn't do the good of preventing or alleviating human suffering because... he's not good.

Thank you,

Walter.

• Like 1

I have talked to a guy who proposed the "God is dead" hypothesis, I'd never heard someone take that position before or since (but Wikipedia does say there are groups who do believe this).  His take was that when Jesus died on the cross, he cut Earth off from the divine realm, essentially his sacrifice was a permanent death setting up the path and leaving us to figure out the rest.

He was therefore able to say the bible was correct, but since then God has not interacted with our world at all and prayers might be heard but will never be actioned.  This allowed him to be a materialist for everything since the bible, as the supernatural was something that happened temporarily back then, but not now.  Gets to have all of the old earth creationism position, follow all modern science and deny anything that could be used to test the claim that God exists.  The ultimate unfalsifiable position.