Goodbye Jesus

Media You Can Consume Without Going to Hell

megasamurai

Anybody ever fear going to hell for consuming a certain movie, book, TV show, music that was considered sin or mulling if said media was sin or not or nitpicking every aspect of the media to see if it is Jesus approved? This was a big issue for me as a teen as every piece of media could be considered sinful. Even something with "damns" in it might be a sin to the strictest of Christians. It seems like Psalty, Colby,  Bible Man, and Donut Man are the only things that make the list. Watching South Park, Harry Potter, R Rated movies (except Passion of the Christ), any rock music about sex, Buffy, Final Fantasy, Inuyasha, superheroes who used magic like Doctor Strange, any of that sends you to hell. Was your media consumption as a Christian affected in a similar matter and did you ever feel tempted to consume forbidden media?

• Thanks 1

I know quite a few xians that curated their media but I was not one of them except for about one year when I stopped listening to heavy metal after I crossed paths with Slayer and convinced myself it was demon possessed (or something stupid...it was decades ago).  A friend had left his collection of records with me (read: hid from his mom) and I had decided that I had seen them glowing "evil" so I got up in my own head over the whole scene.  After giving myself time to get over how stupid I had been I started listening to it again and have ever since with no more "evil" experiences.

Now, skip ahead a few more decades and I start having some health issues, like strokes, so I get ran through the medical system.  Turns out I have some sort of atypical migraine issue.  Odds are I've been seeing odd "auras" for years.  I probably did "see" some glowing but only as a part of an undiagnosed migraine issue (I had tons of things that were just brushed off as allergies) but when connected to some superstition about angels, demons, heaven and hell it turned me into some paranoid idiot that thought I was opening myself to invisible dark forces.

mwc

• Like 2

When I was a believer, I smashed a video of Clan of the Cave Bear because my teen nephew was watching it and it portrayed a rape scene which I thought was anal... 

I also hated listening to popular top 40 channels because the music was so worldly. I look back on it now and think what an utter prude I was trying to please an imaginary prude in the sky. I had such a skewed view of reality, especially sexuality. I remember hearing about Harry Potter and rebuking the demons while I was in the book store. I was in an imaginary world of demons and angels, fearful of books portraying an imaginary world of wizards and witches. 

• Like 2

I guess I was lucky.  We didn’t have television until I was 14 years old. All three channels were “G“ rated. In fact there wasn’t even a rating system back then.  I had heard of nasty girlie magazines, but the only thing my brother and I had was the women’s underwear section of the Sears  catalog.  We hoped our parents didn’t notice those pages were more worn than others. And that we didn’t get caught jacking off.  My older brother said we were sinning, “but ain’t it fun!”  We had absolutely no sex education, except for watching animals on our farm.  

When Elvis Pressley hit the scene some people said he and Rock and Roll was of the devil, but my parents said it was just stupid and a waste of time. I did for years fear going to Hell for lusting after girls.  But somehow the lust kept winning and I later was treated for depression. Harry Potter, etc. didn’t exist back then. 

• Like 1

Y'know, suprisingly, I never had this problem growing up as far as I can remember. A funny story though (okay, maybe not completely funny) about me is that when I was a kid I was not allowed to watch Spongebob at all because my Mom thought it was stupid (I mean it is, but I still enjoy the first 3 seasons + the first movie).

Anyways, I was around 6-7 at the time. I was eating my breakfast (some nutritious graham crackers) on the couch and watching TV. I ended up falling off the couch randomly. Like a knee-jerk reaction. I was getting worried and called for my Mom.  She came in and asked me what was wrong. Some moments pass, then the next thing I know I fall off the couch once again and turns out that I was having a seizure. I was not able to control any part of my body and my breathing was not doing okay. I ended up passing out on the living room floor. The last thing I remember was my Mom going like "He's having a seizure call 911" or something like that.

I ended up waking up at some point in the hospital and one of the nurses or whoever walked in. She brought in a TV and asked me what I wanted to watch. I said Spongebob. I got what I wanted. My Mom never said anything after that. I don't think she remembers that, but loooool.

I find it funny, but in a sick way. I could've died and all I wanted to do was watch Spongebob.

• Like 1