Goodbye Jesus

Spooky Scary Shenanigans

Casualfanboy16

Anyone else have a morbid fascination with scary things even though they don't believe in that sort of stuff? Halloween, ghosts, ghouls and goblins, the paranormal in general. Also creepy media and stuff as well. I loooove spooky, weird things.

My first real experience with scary stuff was when I was around 9-10 with the rise of the Five Nights at Freddy's franchise. I wouldn't call it "scary" now, but to 9-10 year old it would be. I enjoy the original game for opening me up to the world of horror media. Scary things appeal to me. It's probably my morbid fascination with the distortion/corruption of the familiar, the also morbid fascination with the unknown, or the general feeling horror gives me. Not so scared of it, but more excited and almost exhilarated by the fun of it all. Maybe I'm weird, but I'm proud of it.

My taste in horror has changed a decent bit throughout the years. I'm not so much interested in the "kiddie" brand of horror like Five Nights at Freddy's- although, I am curious about the movie, simply because Matthew Lillard (voice of Shaggy from Scooby Doo) is going to play the fucking murderer in this film. I do, however gravitate towards horror that still is a distortion of the familiar or masquerading the dark underbelly of the horrors within with cutesy visuals (i.e. Don't Hug Me I'm Scared, Gakkou Gurashi, etc) or just plain creepy and weird shit I find on the internet.

Funny thing about me is like in my mid to late teen years (15-17) I used to listen to horror stories to fall asleep. I didn't even care if they were true or not. I just enjoyed putting on headphones, staying up extremely late at night and falling asleep to stories about paranormal or just general scary experiences happening to people. I don't do that anymore for obvious reasons, like getting a decent amount of sleep, but I enjoyed it while it lasted. Horror is fun to me, although I'm more of a horror game/horror media other than movies kinda guy. I don't know why I'm not into horror movies as much as YouTube videos or games or whatever, but I still enjoy most horror. Anyone else like this? Lol.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Casualfanboy16 said:

I still enjoy most horror. Anyone else like this? Lol.

Not me.

7 hours ago, Weezer said:

Not me.

That's wonderful because when I get the time you're gonna bear witness to my fascinating taste in horror. I'd like to thank my (nearly) unsupervised internet access from age 10 to the present day for that. 😁

Edit: Ohoho behold!! The horror stuff. It's probably not that scary now, but back then I watched Don't Hug Me I'm Scared (DHMIS) religiously. There's 6 in total (not including the TV series). The fifth one is my personal favorite. I'll be finding more horror stuff for later. 😁

Edit 2: Found a few other miscellaneous creepy weird things on the internets. Most of these aren't even scary... just unnerving. I'll just put a small batch here.

On 9/4/2023 at 1:37 PM, Casualfanboy16 said:

Anyone else have a morbid fascination with scary things even though they don't believe in that sort of stuff? Halloween, ghosts, ghouls and goblins, the paranormal in general. Also creepy media and stuff as well. I loooove spooky, weird things.

My first real experience with scary stuff was when I was around 9-10 with the rise of the Five Nights at Freddy's franchise. I wouldn't call it "scary" now, but to 9-10 year old it would be. I enjoy the original game for opening me up to the world of horror media. Scary things appeal to me. It's probably my morbid fascination with the distortion/corruption of the familiar, the also morbid fascination with the unknown, or the general feeling horror gives me. Not so scared of it, but more excited and almost exhilarated by the fun of it all. Maybe I'm weird, but I'm proud of it.

My taste in horror has changed a decent bit throughout the years. I'm not so much interested in the "kiddie" brand of horror like Five Nights at Freddy's- although, I am curious about the movie, simply because Matthew Lillard (voice of Shaggy from Scooby Doo) is going to play the fucking murderer in this film. I do, however gravitate towards horror that still is a distortion of the familiar or masquerading the dark underbelly of the horrors within with cutesy visuals (i.e. Don't Hug Me I'm Scared, Gakkou Gurashi, etc) or just plain creepy and weird shit I find on the internet.

Funny thing about me is like in my mid to late teen years (15-17) I used to listen to horror stories to fall asleep. I didn't even care if they were true or not. I just enjoyed putting on headphones, staying up extremely late at night and falling asleep to stories about paranormal or just general scary experiences happening to people. I don't do that anymore for obvious reasons, like getting a decent amount of sleep, but I enjoyed it while it lasted. Horror is fun to me, although I'm more of a horror game/horror media other than movies kinda guy. I don't know why I'm not into horror movies as much as YouTube videos or games or whatever, but I still enjoy most horror. Anyone else like this? Lol.

Ok, I finally have time to reply to this lol. I have such a similar story in my own love for scary things and Horror. 

My parents never really shielded me from horror films. I think for them they got a kick oit of seeing kids scared. They didnt force us to watch them or anything. Just didnt stop us if we were in the room. So I had watched movies like Nightmare on elm Street, warlock, Jason, the exorcist, and Halloween. There are more but I can't remember them all. The classic 80s horror movies. 

But my own personal facination started with a school book fair where I bought the book. "Scary stories to tell in the dark". I read through the book fairly quickly and was hooked. From then on I read many different books that would delve into the world of the supernatural. I read several Dean Koontz books. Several other short story books, a few vampire sagas, yes I read twilight too. Even tho it wasn't what I would call scary. 

I got hooked on the Necroscope saga back in middle/high school and was an original die hard fan of "The X files", "Supernatural", and "The walking dead". I actually have a prestige tag for my truck is zombie related 🤣. I pay extra for that every year on advolorem tax. 

There aren't many good horror movies I haven't watched. The most recent one was "The popes Exorcist". I think Russel Crowe did a really good job in that role. 

Unfortunately after watching and reading that many story lines it is hard to be surprised anymore.  But when they do get me I like it 👍

I also enjoy walks and rides through old creepy cemeteries. Even my family think that's a little weird lmao 🤣. But whatever

So no you're not alone 😀

Dark Bishop

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DarkBishop said:

"Scary stories to tell in the dark". I read through the book fairly quickly and was hooked.

Omg I fucking loved that book. I saw the movie for it too, but I didn't find it all that horrifying. I don't even remember all that happened in it either. I enjoyed it though.

4 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

I also enjoy walks and rides through old creepy cemeteries. Even my family think that's a little weird lmao 🤣. But whatever

So no you're not alone 😀

Dark Bishop

I wanna walk through a cemeteryyyy. I did go on a haunted prison tour once though. There was supposedly paranormal activity there. I just enjoyed the architecture and all the old things laying around to rot. There was also lots of pictures of naked women like plastered on some of the cell walls lmfao. Someone out there would probably steal them.

It was fun though. Looking at all the run-down, abandoned buildings was so much fun. Abandoned building exploration is also something I'd want to do, but I don't exactly want to die by like crappy foundation crumbling beneath me or get murdered by whatever lurks in a place like that. Feel free to check out my taste in horror too. I feel like I should up my game with the next batch of videos I plan to send either later tonight or tomorrow.

Man I almost forgot to include my all time favorite zombie movie. Also watched when I was a kid. Probably kindergarten. 

"The return of the living dead"

12 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

Man I almost forgot to include my all time favorite zombie movie. Also watched when I was a kid. Probably kindergarten. 

"The return of the living dead"

Am I weird for laughing hysterically at the parts where the zombies are murdering people or when the girl falls through the stairs? How old is this movie? I wanna watch it.

Edit: It's the bad vfx for me. I love it.

4 minutes ago, Casualfanboy16 said:

Am I weird for laughing hysterically at the parts where the zombies are murdering people or when the girl falls through the stairs? How old is this movie? I wanna watch it.

Edit: It's the bad vfx for me. I love it.

Almost as old as me lmao. It came out in 1985. So I probably didn't see it till 86 when it came out on VHS. 

2 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

Almost as old as me lmao. It came out in 1985. So I probably didn't see it till 86 when it came out on VHS. 

It's probably online on some shady-ass site somewhere lol. I wanna watch this. Looks exciting.

39 minutes ago, Casualfanboy16 said:

It's probably online on some shady-ass site somewhere lol. I wanna watch this. Looks exciting.

It's a little cheesy and the graphics aren't great. But when I was a kid it was epic to me. There is a great nude scene too if you get the uncensored version. Not that it would interest you tho. It's a chic. 

20 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

It's a little cheesy and the graphics aren't great. But when I was a kid it was epic to me. There is a great nude scene too if you get the uncensored version. Not that it would interest you tho. It's a chic. 

That's exactly why I wanna watch it. It looks like a cheesy horror flick I'd enjoy.

Also, dammit. No hot nude men. Can't have shit lol.

• Haha 1

I never gravitated towards gross horror, but more towards peculiar spooky like "IT" or "Rose Red" or "Poltergeist" (or anything Bruce Campbell 🙂 ). I actually converted to Christianity after seeing an advert for The Exorcist. Since my deconversion, I've watched that a couple of times and it seems more silly now than scary, because it's absurd that the best that Jesus could do in that situation were these two guys slinging holy water and begging for help from him. Also the idea "I'm a Babylonian wind god that was worshiped and now have come to your New York house to... move things around in your attic!!!! Muahahaha. But wait, I can also turn your lights on and off... without using the switch!!! Muahahaha!" They also mis-cast Pazuzu as evil instead of a protector of children, but believers think anything not Christian is evil. 

I really don't enjoy how MUCH Christianity is in spooky films. Sandman series for example. I don't even bother watching now when it all is based in Christianity being true. Even Hell Raiser, which has some really interesting angles on weird, is ultimately based on the Christian god being real. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fuego said:

I really don't enjoy how MUCH Christianity is in spooky films. Sandman series for example. I don't even bother watching now when it all is based in Christianity being true. Even Hell Raiser, which has some really interesting angles on weird, is ultimately based on the Christian god being real. 

Oh gaaaaawd. Ikr?? It's like there's always some kind of Christian element in a lot of horror nowadays. Crucifixes, Bibles, crosses, etc, etc. I never really picked up on it until you mentioned it, but a lot of horror I remember seeing or just looking at the trailers for it feels like Christianity is an element in it. Especially movies involving demons. We need to switch things up!! Lol.

A totally normal drive. Nothing to see here. (I feel like everyone here has seen this already).

This scene from Made in Abyss is still fresh in my nightmares. Don't watch if you can't handle extreme gore and children essentially being experimented on and being transformed into nightmare creatures because even this unnerves me. And I'm me. In and out of context it's fucking horrific. Also spoilers, I guess. This anime is fucked up. Good soundtrack though!

10 out of 10 you should watch it with your whole family! (DON'T! DON'T! IT'S SO FUCKED AND ONLY GETS WORSE AS THE SERIES GOES ON)!