Goodbye Jesus

How did you pick your alias?

Wertbag

Just a random question that I thought of...  There are a range of unusual alias's in use on this site, some are fairly obvious while others are a bit more obscure.  So how did you decide on your alias?  Do you use it only on this site or is it your internet persona?

Wertbag was originally a typing tutorial mistake (learnt on mechanical typewriters!).  I did the left hand top row WERT, then it should have been the bottom row starting with B.  I got as far as Wertba, laughed at what I'd written and thought it was a silly and meaningless mistake that amused me enough to start using.  I've used it for 30ish years, in PC games and online.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Wertbag said:

Just a random question that I thought of...  There are a range of unusual alias's in use on this site, some are fairly obvious while others are a bit more obscure.  So how did you decide on your alias?  Do you use it only on this site or is it your internet persona?

Wertbag was originally a typing tutorial mistake (learnt on mechanical typewriters!).  I did the left hand top row WERT, then it should have been the bottom row starting with B.  I got as far as Wertba, laughed at what I'd written and thought it was a silly and meaningless mistake that amused me enough to start using.  I've used it for 30ish years, in PC games and online.

My username's origin is not that interesting. Basically, I chose it because...

1. For the "Casual" part: I dressed pretty casually a lot back then. Still kind of do. Just casual clothing like hoodies and sweatpants, shorts, etc.

2. For the "fanboy" part: I guess I was a fanboy of games like Minecraft and stuff, but I didn't really feel like I was fanboying over anything until I played Omori back in December of 2020. I'm still addicted. Not as much, but I went slightly crazy with merch; and given the opportunity I would talk about it in length and probably send extremely unhinged gifs on this site as like reaction images if the limit for file uploads didn't screw me over. I mean, I am a fan of Minecraft. Just not a fanboy anymore. I am a fanMAN now lmfaoooo.

3. For the "16" part: There's nothing really special about that part. I've just been using the same username for like years and refused to change the number.

I use it here and in games and just in general. I'm not very creative with coming up with other names soooo...

In high school (1958) some of us guys gave our penis a name.  Mine was Weezer.   I don't remembr how I came up with the name.  Weezer the musician didn't exist back then.  About 12 years ago I needed a name to join my first forum (Ex-church of christ) on the internet.  I didn't want anyone to recognize me, so began using the name.  Then a few years later I started a thread for "senior" enduro motorcycle riders on a motorcycle forum, and now use the name "Weezer the Geezer" there.  I'm the oldest of a group of enduro bike riders.  Several of them just call me "Weez".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My handle comes from my time as a Norse heiðin - It's intended to be a quasi-Icelandic version of the goddess of spring, Eostre/Ostara.  I blogged for about ten years as the Springy Goddess, but also answer to "Springy G."

6 hours ago, Weezer said:

In high school (1958) some of us guys gave our penis a name.  Mine was Weezer.

Out of all the things I thought your name came from it definitely wasn't that. I thought it was because like... you wheezed and coughed a lot. Lol.

• Super Moderator

I taught basic biology at a local college years ago.  I'd tell my students the first day, "I don't want to hear any bitching about how mitosis and meiosis are too confusing for you.  If a dumbass redneck like me can understand it, y'all civilized city-folk ought to have no problem with it."  It didn't take too long before I was christened "the redneck professor."

I use the same moniker on Twitter and YouTube, though I'm not very active on either of those platforms. 

• Haha 1

The missionary cult leader I used to promote worldwide was (maybe still is) known for shouting "Fuego!" (Fire in Spanish, short for the Fire of God or his literal presence). I turned that into a question mark and adopted the word as my handle. 

I just figured that I'm older than most of the folks here. But if Weezer went to high school in 1958, then he gets the sweepstakes trophy.

(By the way, do you know how many senior citizens it takes to change a light bulb?

None, because we're all in bed before it gets dark.)

• Haha 1

When I joined here I struggled to come up with a name.  The phrase “There and Back Again” - the subtitle of Tolkien’s “The Hobbit” - came to mind when I thought of my journey into and out of conservative christianity.   So my original name here was ThereAndBackAgain.  A bit of a mouthful, so I shortened it to TABA early on.  

Years ago I was playing call of duty on Xbox and was in a clan call WC4B (we came 4 blood). Come to think of it. I probably would not have had my churches blessing to play such a violent game. I guess it was one of my guilty pleasures. But I was also an ordained Bishop. So I decided to use the name WC4B Bishop. 

After my deconversion I came here and picked the name back up. But since I had left the "light of Christ" and joined the "Dark side". I dawned the name Dark Bishop. It was only later I found out there is a video game with the same name. I should probably play it some time but I haven't played console games in years. 

I use this name or the original wc4b Bishop on video games (I still play minecraft from my phone) or if I don't want people knowing my real name as I have a very unique first and last name combo. It would be easy to find me with a quick search. As far as I know I'm the only one in America. And considering what Christian crazies have been doing to people lately like shooting up gay bars and rub n tug massage parlors. I just don't trust them not to read my posts here and hunt me down lol 😆

DB

• Like 1

16 hours ago, older said:

if Weezer went to high school in 1958,

Graduated in 1959.

36 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

And considering what Christian crazies have been doing to people lately like shooting up gay bars and rub n tug massage parlors. I just don't trust them not to read my posts here and hunt me down lol 😆

My gay ass is gonna fucking die with how ranty I've been these past few months :)

5 hours ago, Weezer said:

Graduated in 1959.

You still get the trophy, Weezer. 1963.  

Doesn't it feel strange to be the same age as old people?

48 minutes ago, older said:

Doesn't it feel strange to be the same age as old people?

Yes it does feel strange.  And I feel extremely lucky.  According to statistics, and my health problems, I shouldn't even be alive.  I had a christian doctor tell me that God must have a reason for keeping me alive.  I told her it probably had something to do with my wifes healthy cooking, my activity, and my DNA.  Two of my great grandparents lived to be 101 and 108 years of age, and most realtives into their 90s. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Weezer said:

Two of my great grandparents lived to be 101 and 108 years of age, and most realtives into their 90s. 

God, imagine being over 100 years old. Think of all the stories you could tell. I don't know if I'd want to live that long though. But then again, it's probably better than living as long as Methuselah lmfaoooo.

8 hours ago, Weezer said:

Yes it does feel strange.  And I feel extremely lucky.  According to statistics, and my health problems, I shouldn't even be alive.  I had a christian doctor tell me that God must have a reason for keeping me alive.  I told her it probably had something to do with my wifes healthy cooking, my activity, and my DNA.  Two of my great grandparents lived to be 101 and 108 years of age, and most realtives into their 90s. 

My family practitioner is an older doctor and I went to him a couple weeks ago to get my knee looked at. I had stress it to much at work and pulled a muscle or ligament or something. 

When he began to describe what probably happened to my knee he started it off with. "When God made us he made our knees.... blah blah blah" and began to describe how God fashioned the pad between the joints and how he made the ligaments and tendons that hold our knee caps in place. 

I didn't say anything. I just listened and nodded my head. The whole time thinking in my head. Wow...... he actually believes this shit lol. 😂 but he's a good doctor and I like him. I probably should have chose a younger doctor because I'm sure he's close to retirement. Actually he's probably past retirement age. But I imagine whoever takes over after him will be much younger anyway. 

DB

• Like 1

KrowB is a shortened form of my old CS and DoD handle. Everyone back then just called me Krow.

Of course, most of my friends had equally stupid names.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Krowb said:

Of course, most of my friends had equally stupid names.

Hey, that's what mkes them fun!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

When he began to describe what probably happened to my knee he started it off with. "When God made us he made our knees.... blah blah blah" and began to describe how God fashioned the pad between the joints and how he made the ligaments and tendons that hold our knee caps in place. 

I didn't say anything. I just listened and nodded my head. The whole time thinking in my head. Wow...... he actually believes this shit lol. 😂 but he's a good doctor and I like him. I probably should have chose a younger doctor because I'm sure he's close to retirement. Actually he's probably past retirement age. But I imagine whoever takes over after him will be much younger anyway. 

I had a urologist who kept saying "blessed" this and "blessed" that. And that was the last time I saw him. And I'm looking for a new family practice doc since ours retired. I found one who looked good in my online research until I discovered that she had gone to Liberty University. Adios.

And there are two hospitals in our town, one of which is run by the Catholic church. I've left specific instructions that I am not to be taken there. I do not want my health care to be dictated by their religious principles.

2 hours ago, older said:

And there are two hospitals in our town, one of which is run by the Catholic church. I've left specific instructions that I am not to be taken there. I do not want my health care to be dictated by their religious principles.

Eh, I get your point but that's a lil to much for me. I go by specialties. I know the Catholic hospital. In TN 30 miles away is the best in heart and bariatrics. So that's where I go for my heart doctor and where I'm going to have weight loss surgery. 

The other hospital specializes in children's care, brain, and nervous system. My son has been going there since birth because of his birth defects. And if I ever need something involving the brain or nervous system I will go there. It is an educational hospital tied in with the local colleges. 

BUT that's me. To each there own. Everyone has to feel comfortable.with their care. 

DB

3 hours ago, older said:

I've worked in Catholic and non-Catholic hospitals, and the only difference seen is Catholics not doing abortions.  Most of their staff and doctors are not Catholic, at least in the ones where I worked in Kansas.  

Ok then, my turn.

Walter is my first name and P is the initial of my second.

I used to be here under that moniker until some kind of glitch forced me to re-register under a new member name.

So I thought, "Fuck it!  If the kings and queens of this country can call themselves the First, the Second, the Ninth, etc. then I can do the same."

Hence WalterPthefirst.

21 hours ago, Weezer said:

I've worked in Catholic and non-Catholic hospitals, and the only difference seen is Catholics not doing abortions.  Most of their staff and doctors are not Catholic, at least in the ones where I worked in Kansas.  

But it's not the doctors. Our state has an end-of-life law that allows terminally ill people to get medications that will end their life. But you cannot do this through a Catholic institution.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Like 1

At the time I had created this account, I was living in Kentucky, hence the handle Bluegrassskeptic. Now that I'm in the deep, deep South of Louisiana, I'll probably switch over to the handle I use for everything else: SatansLittleSidePiece. That name reflects the religious and childhood traumas I suffered as somewhat outlined in my blog Desperately Yours, Lucifer.

• Like 1