Goodbye Jesus

What Christian song(s) can you absolutely NOT stand?

Casualfanboy16

Christian music sometimes gets stuck in my head against my will. It's a curse. That's what inspired me to make this question! :)

I actually have two songs that I can't stand. One being God's Not Dead; the other being Reckless Love. God's Not Dead is the worst for me because it got so overplayed at every worship time at my school. Every time I hear it I just have such a viscerally disgusted reaction to it. Hearing "God's not dead! He's surely alive!" so many times just killed me inside. Then I think about the movie. (I know there's more than one; but I don't wanna see them for obvious reasons).

The other one- Reckless Love- is so creepy to me. It's like God wants to stalk and kill me. I mean the lyrics "oh he chases me down, fights 'till I'm found, leaves the 99" just makes me feel like God wants to murder me like some kind of hitman or like stalk me and watch me or something. It's not comforting like Christians probably think it is lol. I hate these both in particular. Sometimes they pop into my head and I don't feel good when that happens.

There aren't any that I cant stand, but "Just as I am" came to be one I didn't like to hear.  It was the "invitation" song they were singing when I went forward to be baptised (saved) at 11 years of age.  And we had one preacher who would have the congregation sing it over and over, while he tried to shame or scare people into "coming down the aisle" to confess their sins.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Weezer said:

There aren't any that I cant stand, but "Just as I am" came to be one I didn't like to hear.

Huh. I don't think I've ever heard that one.

16 minutes ago, Casualfanboy16 said:

Huh. I don't think I've ever heard that one.

Sounds like your church wasn't into the old hymnal songs. The hymnal books were pretty much the standard in all the Baptist churches I was a part of. 

They weren't really good enough for the Gospel assembly tho. There were doctrinal wordings in a lot of those that didn't line up with what we believed. Pretty much any song that put you in heaven before the end of time was out the window. We believed that the body and soul remained in the grave until the day of judgement. Then we would rise again. It wasn't a conscious existence or anything, as the bible days the dead know nothing. 

As far as the question in the OP. I'll have to give that some thought. I don't know that there are any I just can't stand. The few times I do attend church now, I still sing along. I have good memories attached to them so meh. 😌 

DB

40 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

Sounds like your church wasn't into the old hymnal songs. The hymnal books were pretty much the standard in all the Baptist churches I was a part of. 

My school did old hymns in choir. Choir was required all throughout middle school. I didn't particularly like it. I felt it was a nightmare to sit through and at one point I just started faking it and not singing along. One of my friends told me a story of how their Dad used to mouth "watermelon, watermelon, watermelon" over and over again and I just started doing that to look like I was singing lmfao.

As far as my church goes, we do sing old hymns like "Amazing Grace" and stuff like that.

It wasn't a conscious existence or anything, as the bible days the dead know nothing. 

That's what they want you to think. 😀

As far as the question in the OP. I'll have to give that some thought. I don't know that there are any I just can't stand. The few times I do attend church now, I still sing along. I have good memories attached to them so meh. 😌 

The only songs that I have good memories about were the ones we sang at Christmas concerts at school. I don't remember the exact titles, but I believe it was "Mary's Lullaby" and "Tiny King". Tiny King was nice. It was a song about the Christmas story, y'know, Jesus' birth and all that. My Pap thought it was "Tiny Tim" lmfao 🤣😂