Goodbye Jesus

Daniel in the lions Den

DarkBishop

FB_IMG_1695134275842.jpg

So I have some stories. When I was a young Christian around the same time I answered the call to preach I heard a sermon and was reading about fasting. So I decided to pray and fast in full faith that I would be blessed for the action. I was very, very zealous at this point. So the first time I fasted for 4 days. Only allowing myself water to stay hydrated. 

In my mind I thought I had done something ancient that the Lord approved of. That he smiled on so I wanted to go a whole week. And I did. 7 days no food. That was the last time I fasted. 

It was soon after that I began gaining weight like crazy. Looking back on it knowing the truth of the matter. I had put my metabolism in starvation mode. So when I started eating again my body was retaining as many calories as it could. Even when dieting I've always plateaued and haven't been able to get under 300 since. 

Maybe this wasn't an issue back in bible days when they probably didn't eat like we do in America. 

And I'm not trying to make out like I eat what I'm supposed to. I don't. But there was a significant change. And it wasn't like I changed what I was eating after fasting. I went from about 245 to 340 within 2 years. It took me a lot longer to get to 245. 

Now I'm taking steps to have weight loss surgery in December. I'm hoping with the smaller stomach and less capacity to absorb nutrients that I will finally be able to get back to where I was atleast. 

Also back when my old church was at its height they were adamant that faith healing was the only acceptable healing for Christians. They were forbidden to go to the doctor or be kicked out of the church. If they were kicked out of the church they were taught they would go to hell. 

Many, many, many people died from illnesses that would have otherwise been curable with medical treatment. Bronchitis, pneumonia, infections, curable cancer, etc. 

These are things that happen when people believe lies and fairy tales. The miraculous things that happened in  the bible and even the gifts that Jesus said we would have in the bible, are all fairy tales. 

There should be a warning on the bible. "Don't try this bullshit at home"!

Regards,

Dark Bishop

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

When I was preparing to be a missionary in Ireland, I went on two different fasts that I thought the lord had called me to do.  The first fast, in order to get in touch with the Irish spirit, was the Potato Famine fast.  For 40 days, I ate nothing but potatoes: hashbrowns or home fries for breakfast, French fries for lunch, and mashed or fried potatoes for supper.  It sucked.  And, even working in the physically demanding field of electrical construction, I still put on 20 pounds.

The second fast, which I entered into a month after the Potato Famine fast ended, was the fast of Holy Communion.  For another 40 days, each meal consisted of 1 piece of bread and 1 cup of grape juice (which is what our church used instead of wine, because only godless heretics used wine). 

One Friday night, some friends and I met up at an Irish pub in downtown Charlotte (Ri Ra was the name of it, for those interested).  These guys poured the best pint West of the Atlantic; and had a plate of fish and chips that were absolutely immaculately conceived holy mackerel.  I desperately wanted a pint, and a bit of that crispy fried heaven; but the lord had called me to be faithful in the little things so he could put me in charge of bigger things.  So, instead, I ordered a basket of soda bread and a glass of red wine (because what kind of a pub would keep grape juice on hand?) and stayed true to my calling.

Now, I don't know if you've ever gotten wine-drunk on an empty stomach before; but your stomach tends to prefer being empty again not long after you do.  And can, indeed, be violently insistent on the point.  Well, the next thing I knew I had forcefully deposited the body and blood of our lord and saviour into a dirty urinal amid spent wads of chewing gum and cigarette butts. 

A fitting place for him to remain, I'd reckon.

13 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

A fitting place for him to remain, I'd reckon

Lmao, it certainly is. 

Admittedly my knowledge of fasting was very limited. Since then I've heard of other religions practicing similar types of fasting where they just eat certain foods. Or fast all day and feast at night. (Some islamic holiday dont know which) 

I'm sure my body would have liked atleast a little food a lot better. 

18 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I desperately wanted a pint, and a bit of that crispy fried heaven; but the lord had called me to be faithful in the little things so he could put me in charge of bigger things

Such a waste. Hope you got to make up for it after the fast.

I didn't go to my 10yr class reunion because there was going to be drinking. 

I probably deprived myself of a great time with old friends when I did that. 

DB

• Super Moderator
10 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

I didn't go to my 10yr class reunion because there was going to be drinking.

There was a boy at my high school, a year or two younger than me, whose parents believed in all that faith healing, only trust in god, don't go to the doctor garbage.  This kid had some kind of a condition in his gastrointestinal system that would literally double him over in pain, twitching and thrashing about, and howling like a wounded jackal.  School officials, pastors, and other concerned parents begged for him to be taken to the hospital, as the treatment for his condition was a pretty simple and straightforward surgery.  But his parents would not be reasoned with, preferring instead "god's plan" for the boy to suffer needlessly.  

Dude checked himself in to the emergency room on his 18th birthday; checked himself out of the church not long afterwards.  Way to go, Larry.