Goodbye Jesus

LDS building temple in my city...

Fuego

Just when you think religion is starting to fade, up pops an entirely useless religious building taking up land, power, and human energy, probably for another hundred years.

Not sure you can read this without a subscription to the paper:

https://www.columbian.com/news/2023/oct/04/church-of-jesus-christ-of-latter-day-saints-to-build-temple-in-vancouver/

Both the Mormons and JW's are smaller groups but with considerable wealth.  Lots of business investments and land ownership.  I do think the unitarian view they hold make more sense than the trinity, but they make up for that good step with crazier cult like behaviour and additional holy books that are obvious scams.  

It really just goes to show that no matter what crazy claims you want to put out there, someone will believe it.  All absolutely convinced they are correct, while all pointing to the other groups as obviously wrong.

20 hours ago, Fuego said:

Just when you think religion is starting to fade, up pops an entirely useless religious building taking up land, power, and human energy, probably for another hundred years.

Not sure you can read this without a subscription to the paper:

https://www.columbian.com/news/2023/oct/04/church-of-jesus-christ-of-latter-day-saints-to-build-temple-in-vancouver/

Unless things have changed before they consecrate the temple they always hold an open house where the unwashed can tour the place.  You should take the opportunity before they shut the gates.

mwc

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, mwc said:

You should take the opportunity before they shut the gates.

I had the opportunity to do some of the electrical work during the construction of the Billy Graham Library up in Charlotte many years ago.  There are several pentagrams, upside down crosses, and blasphemous "prayers" hidden throughout the entire complex, most of which bear the penmanship of yours truly.  ⛤ 👿 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Back in the 80-90s my old Nazarene church built an enormously expensive dome-style church that left dozens in deep debt after a year of Zig Ziglar style squeezing of the congregation. We all wrote bible verses on the plywood and framing, because Christian magic. Lots of olive oil spiked with frankincense and myrrh, and then the pastor was suddenly "called" somewhere else. The next pastor and cronies showed up and stayed for about half a year before being "called" somewhere else. The last time I went, just to check on a couple of friends, the "worship/offering" leader was a formulaic "dig deep" type, just gross. They finally sold it, not sure who bought it. 

• Super Moderator
8 hours ago, Fuego said:

Back in the 80-90s my old Nazarene church built an enormously expensive dome-style church that left dozens in deep debt after a year of Zig Ziglar style squeezing of the congregation. We all wrote bible verses on the plywood and framing, because Christian magic. Lots of olive oil spiked with frankincense and myrrh, and then the pastor was suddenly "called" somewhere else. The next pastor and cronies showed up and stayed for about half a year before being "called" somewhere else. The last time I went, just to check on a couple of friends, the "worship/offering" leader was a formulaic "dig deep" type, just gross. They finally sold it, not sure who bought it. 

We had such a scandal at my old church during the early days of my deconversion.  I would call it a crisis of faith, at that point; I was still active in ministry and the church.  Anyway, we had the wing-ding new pastor that had joined the staff as the head of the preaching department.  He had been a reasonably successful evangelist prior, so he was quite a persuasive speaker.  So he talked the church into taking $13.5 million in loans to purchase and renovate a former shopping parkade across the street.  A year later, when the church's finances were being reviewed in preparation for tax season, not a dime of that money could be found anywhere.  Not a dime.  Of 13.5 million dollars.  I was pretty much done with the church by then already; but that situation really didn't help.