Goodbye Jesus

This ought to be fun

Krowb

Many of you here know that my mother is still deeply religious, and with each passing year spends more and more time at her church or doing church activities.

Well, we had a fun Halloween and my mother has always helped decorate, trick or treat and the like.  Halloween is a fun holiday and she's always celebrated it for what it is, a fun time to dress up, be spooky, and trick or treat the neighborhood (or church).  I fondly remember all the halloween decorations at our house as a kid.

This isn't going where you think. My daughter's best friend is the daughter of a Nigerian pastor and this friend does not celebrate Halloween "because she's Christian".  (a fun sidenote - the pastor's name is Moses - really nice guy.  I always find it interesting that god blesses African preachers so well, they drive new model mercedes and the Tesla Model X, whereas most of the american pastors I've known live in their parsonages and/or are lower/middle income folk)

Obviously, my daughter's grandmother is also Christian - so she's very confused.  The friend told my daughter that since the grandmother celebrates Halloween, she's not a "real Christian".

I'm totally going to bring this up next time we eat together to see how my mom handles this.

To answer my daughter's question I brought up that "Christian" has no set definition.  Some "Christians" say drinking alcohol is a sin - other "Christians" drink alcohol every Sunday.  Some "Christians" say celebrating Halloween is not allowed, other "Christians" say Halloween is a Christian Holiday.  People do what they want, then they label what they like "Christian".  It seemed to satisfy her.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Scotsman.jpeg.jpg

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Krowb said:

To answer my daughter's question I brought up that "Christian" has no set definition.  Some "Christians" say drinking alcohol is a sin - other "Christians" drink alcohol every Sunday.  Some "Christians" say celebrating Halloween is not allowed, other "Christians" say Halloween is a Christian Holiday.  People do what they want, then they label what they like "Christian".  It seemed to satisfy her.

How old is your daughter?  How do you think her relationship with her friend will go?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2023 at 11:47 AM, Krowb said:

I'm totally going to bring this up next time we eat together to see how my mom handles this.

Halloween has always been my favorite holiday and as a Christian I refused not to participate in the festivities. Taking the stance that it isn't what it was to the pagans. And it's not. 

But maybe inadvertently our children keep the evil spirits at bay without knowing it. 😉

Have you had the chance to get your mom's reaction yet? 

DB