Goodbye Jesus

What are you thankful for?

Casualfanboy16

I thought this would be a fun question to ask because, y'know... Thanksgiving! Lol.

I personally am thankful for my family, both in real life, and my Ex-C/other online friends, who I feel are very much part of my family at this point.

I would also like to thank the various members on this website, from the guests, moderators, Super Moderators, and Webmdave for keeping this glorious website alive, and for helping Ex-Christians, such as myself, throughout this journey.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great topic Casual,

I am thankful for ExC, WebmDave, and all the moderators as well. This site is a beacon on the internet for those that find it and are in need. This website helped me through some of my darkest times and I'm forever grateful. 

I'm thankful for my children, my home, my job, and my life in general. I'm thankful for the medical advances that have kept me alive and are going to help me lose weight. 

I'm thankful for my dogs and the unconditional love they give. 

I'm Thankful for you casual and every other member here. That y'all were able to find this place and be a part of our little community. 

Lastly, I'm thankful for all the scholars, archeologist, geologists, and people of the sciences that have given us all the information we need to put myths and fables in our rear view mirrors. 

Dark Bishop

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Super Moderator

I'm thankful for what I have

More thankful for what I don't 

And most thankful for what I may never get.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In addition to all the above, i am thankful we live in a society where we are free to use our own brains to figure out all this religious stuff for ourselves.  Instead of having some priest telling us what to believe. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

🥲 Damn! Now I'm all choked up....and thankful for all of you and the opportunity to be a part of this! 

You've already said it all. The most grateful moment is the one where you know you're never alone. 

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Admin

I am grateful for this moment -- right now as I type -- and for every moment of my life prior to this one. It has been (and continues to be) a joy to be uniquely me, able to learn and grow and find joy in this world of tremendous variety of experiences, ideas and perceptions.

It has also been a privilege to be part of this site, whether enthusiastically interacting with or just eavesdropping on the varied and many participants over the past 20+ years. What was originally born out of a deep sense of personal loss and loneliness during my own deconversion has somehow become a helping hand for many.

I am at times frankly surprised at the twists and turns my life has taken, and I am grateful for it all.

I wish everyone here a tremendously happy Thanksgiving. 

7 minutes ago, webmdave said:

I am grateful for this moment -- right now as I type -- and for every moment of my life prior to this one. It has been (and continues to be) a joy to be uniquely me, able to learn and grow and find joy in this world of tremendous variety of experiences, ideas and perceptions.

It has also been a privilege to be part of this site, whether enthusiastically interacting with or just eavesdropping on the varied and many participants over the past 20+ years. What was originally born out of a deep sense of personal loss and loneliness during my own deconversion has somehow become a helping hand for many.

I am at times frankly surprised at the twists and turns my life has taken, and I am grateful for it all.

I wish everyone here a tremendously happy Thanksgiving. 

Oh my God it's the man himself!!! I'm honored that you commented on my post!! Thank you so much for this wonderful website!! I've only been here for a few months now, but I'm so glad that this site's here to let me, others like me, and the various members here have a space to help out with deconversion from Christianity. I'm not a big fan of social media and this site is more so my speed. I'm glad I could meet all the wonderful members here, and I'm glad you created this site. It's been a special gift to me, as it has been for many others. Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving, Dave!! 🦃

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Lately I find myself thanking the mushrooms (Amanita muscaria and pantheroides) I pick for the stability they give my mind - quieting anxiety, enabling me to work and pursue my hobby of singing. Overall I have been thanking the rain for returning to the Pacific Northwest. We've been dry for quite a while, so having rain after rain has brought back a lot of trees that were on the edge of dying, and the rain causes mushrooms all over these states to fruit tremendously. That has been wonderful, since I have rarely seen the mushies I need, and this year they are abundant. I hope to go searching for more this long holiday weekend. 

I am happy to re-connect with my big brother recently. Since I deconverted we haven't seen much of each other. Different views of reality, different politics, live several hours apart. Happy that a couple of his kids stay in contact with me. I haven't felt like I have a family for quite a while. No real close friends anymore, other than a couple we see quarterly. Today we'll have a couple of friends over who would otherwise be alone. 

I'm happy to have a wife who sticks with me through all the upheaval of the past decade. She has expressed the same about me. We're an odd two, but seem to be in it for the long game. 

I'm happy to have this small group of ex-believers to exchange thoughts with on occasion. I hope you all find and create some inner/outer peace and happiness. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Fuego said:

Lately I find myself thanking the mushrooms (Amanita muscaria

You mean like this? 

image.png

• Like 2

Already did Canadian Thanksgiving back in October, but here's my contribution to Thursdaysgiving / Black Friday Eve.  :grin:

Grateful that my health is stable and possibly slightly improving; I have fibromyalgia and an arthritic right leg, but lately my walking has become easier and a bit faster.

Very, very glad to finish a paper today for one of my university classes.  Blasted thing was driving me crazy with anxiety, but I finished the editing and uploaded about an hour ago.

And thankful to be surrounded by people both online and IRL who are kind, funny and thought-provoking.  ❤️

• Like 7

20 hours ago, moxieflux66 said:

You mean like this? 

Yes! I collect, dehydrate, make broth, freeze broth in ice cube trays for easy dosing. I was surprised how well it works. 

50 minutes ago, Fuego said:

Yes! I collect, dehydrate, make broth, freeze broth in ice cube trays for easy dosing. I was surprised how well it works. 

Oh, thank you ❤️ We have a lot to talk about! 

The picture I took above was a few years ago but ever since that, the Amanitas have all been very pale, no color at all! 

I'm thankful that thanksgiving is not a thing in NZ :P Not to say the shops haven't all caught on to the Black Friday fake sales, so we get endlessly bombarded by advertising for junk which was cheaper last month.

Personally, me and my family are all in great health, work is getting quiet coming into the holiday season, and we are wrapping up our current D&D campaign with another due to start straight after which will be the first time I get to play in many years rather than being the DM.

I've got a holiday planned for late Jan and a family trip to Rarotonga in April which will be amazing.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, moxieflux66 said:

since that, the Amanitas have all been very pale, no color at all!

Yeah, avoid the ones that are all white or yellow/green with no spot/warts on top. Those ones are deadly (A. phalloides "death cap", A. bisporigera "destroying angel"). When in doubt, leave it. I passed over a whole patch about a month back because I wasn't certain. 

1 hour ago, Fuego said:

Yeah, avoid the ones that are all white or yellow/green with no spot/warts on top. Those ones are deadly (A. phalloides "death cap", A. bisporigera "destroying angel"). When in doubt, leave it. I passed over a whole patch about a month back because I wasn't certain. 

We've avoided all those and more. But we have found chanterelles, and these: 

20231108_115429.jpg

Looks like Elfin Saddles

My brother calls them saddlebacks or hellavella(sp?). They're mighty good, a little hard to spot since they're so dark and peculiar looking but really fun to hunt for.

A bit late to the party, but better late than never!

I am thankful for finding everyone here- the haven and place where everyone can share their ex-C experiences without much fear and gaslit by those invalidating our experiences. The holidays are no longer as lonely as before. Seeing that we have biology/nature/medical/art enthusiasts makes me feel even more connected to guys even more! 

Also, my husband and my best friend of over 10 years have been my guides and stronghold in my personal life. They helped me realize that there are more things outside of my family's church, which are no longer scary I once thought they were. My husband and I are furthering our education in the coming year to help make our lives more stable and grounded away from other denominational hocus-pocus influences. Other than our education, I have been trying to make new family recipes, improving my culinary skills, and travel more during summer/winter breaks with my husband. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, AnonSan said:

A bit late to the party, but better late than never!

Did your parents come for a Thanksgiving visit?  How did that go?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Weezer said:

Did your parents come for a Thanksgiving visit?  How did that go?

My parents came over and surprisingly went better than I expected. My husband did most of the talking to keep the conversations secular. There was one moment my mom told him he didn't need to accompany her the entire time while waiting for my dad to finish an errand before heading off to meet up with old friends in the area. I guess my mom wanted a chance to talk with me 1-on-1 (the last time was awful), but my husband counteracted stating he had to have his coffee first before he gets ready for the day. My family and I had a Cantonese-style dinner later that day which was delicious and addicting. 

The morning before they left, my mom taught me a quick dish I could make. My dad gave some solid financial advice, but his old school mentality believes that men like my husband should pay over 85% in rent/utilities/basic necessities because he makes doubled my annual income before taxes, which is not true. I kept telling my dad that what we were doing works in building our savings while my husband can pay off remaining loans and continuing education in the meantime. But overall, there were no related conversations about converting my husband and coming back to church.  

• Like 2

• Super Moderator
8 minutes ago, AnonSan said:

My family and I had a Cantonese-style dinner later that day which was delicious and addicting. 

The morning before they left, my mom taught me a quick dish I could make.

Ms. Professor makes a really incredible dish with shrimp and pork simmered in oyster sauce with fresh ginger, garlic, and honey.  She also makes homemade steamed buns with barbecue pork or sometimes taro.  I love Asian food!

• Like 1

Well done!! Thank you for the update. Also good countertactic to be not left alone for opportunities to wheedle you over things. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thankful for my autism diagnosis at age 46, absolutely life changing and narrative for my life.

Obviously thankful that I left Christianity when I did, recovered/ discovered my humanity.

• Like 3

FOUR KITTIES!! And a friend who let me love her for a whole week! 

Best of all to all of you. ❤️

This is Kiki, therapy kitty. 1 of 4. Kitties make everything better! 

Kiki.jpg