Goodbye Jesus

Babies go straight to Hell

quantum

Funny that the church stays silent of this hateful doctrine.

Both Christianity and Islam hateful and evil, but perhaps the only advantage that Islam has, it is teaches that babies go straight to Heaven.

Not so, for gentle and meek Jesus, who LOVES us soooooo much....

3 weeks old and unbaptised...stick them in the furnace.....  

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Hi Quantum.

As far as I know, the standard Christian response to this issue (which I was taught) takes its cue from Matthew 19 : 14.

"Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.'"

When I was a Christian I therefore believed that unborn children and those too young to make a conscious decision automatically went to heaven if they died.

So, could you please explain what you meant by the church's hateful doctrine of babies going straight to hell?

I'm not saying you're wrong here Quantum, its just that I'm not familiar with that doctrine.

Could you help me out here please?

Thank you,

Walter.

2 hours ago, walterpthefirst said:

Could you help me out here please?

I think this may be a catholic teaching. Not sure. Seems like I've heard something like this before. Maybe it's an orthodox Catholic teaching.

I was taught the same as you. Until they reached the age that they felt conviction for sin then they would go to heaven. We called it the age of accountability. 

DB

18 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

I think this may be a catholic teaching. Not sure. Seems like I've heard something like this before. Maybe it's an orthodox Catholic teaching.

Time for the Resident Ex-Catholic to check in!  I’m unsure of current Popish doctrine on the matter, but when I was growing up they taught that unbaptized infants went to a place called Limbo.  I think that was supposed to be either a dreary Sheol-like experience or maybe it was just annihilation: fade to black.  Of course Catholics baptize their young as soon as they pop their heads out.  I was “sprinkled” within 48 hours.  I’m not sure at what age a person was too old to qualify for Limbo and risked Hell instead.  Don’t bother looking for the doctrine of Limbo in the Bible anywhere.  

I may be wrong, but I suspect they have moved away from the Limbo option these days, and maybe unbaptized infants go to Heaven now, I’m not sure.  Shoot, this current Pope has even said atheists might go to Heaven if they are sincere, so who knows what he’ll say next.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TABA said:

Shoot, this current Pope has even said atheists might go to Heaven if they are sincere, so who knows what he’ll say next.  

Thanks I was hoping you would chime in. 

Wow guess that means we agnostics are A-OK. I like this pope!! 🤣 

DB

Job 14:4 

Who can make a clean thing come from an unclean? No one!

Romans 3:23 

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Romans 5:12

So then, just as sin entered the world through one man and death through sin, and so death spread to all people because all sinned.

Romans 3:10

There is no one righteous, not even one

Sounds like infant damnation to me 

Having grown up in a household where Southern Baptist was considered middle ground between one parent's Catholic upbringing and the other's ultra-conservative branch of Church of Christ I also vaguely remember that Limbo is a non-biblical doctrine to get around the issue of young children dying before being old enough to truly understand and accept Jesus.  But a vague memory is all I have to attest to it.

Confusion and inconsistancy seems to be what you get when you throw together a bunch of ancient writings made by humans, and call them the word of God. 😁

My family had this.  My great aunt had a still born baby and was heartbroken as you can imagine.  She asked the church to be allowed to bury the baby in the graveyard beside our other family members and the church said "Your baby was born into sin, never baptized so died in its sin.  It is unclean and cannot be buried on church ground".  The family saw this as kicking the poor woman while she was down, and all our family moved away from that church.  I don't know the denomination of that church; I believe it was before I was born.  I don't think this made any of the family lose their faith, but it did make several have anti-church feelings, so lead to a future decline in attendance and probably just a less devout group overall.

What I undestood from all the denominations around me in our small town, was that children went to heaven if they died before the age of accountability and had not been "saved".  What really bothered me was that no one knew exactly what age that was, and that different churches had different ideas about what you had to do to be saved.