Goodbye Jesus

Santa is fake, Jesus is real......

older

The cliche is, "You can't make this stuff up." But it's true. Here's a story about a pastor who was wearing a Grinch suit and standing outside a grammar school holding a sign that read, "Santa is fake, Jesus is real." One parent grabbed the sign and tore it up. I can't stop laughing. 

https://www.westernjournal.com/pastor-holding-santa-fake-jesus-real-sign-school-drop-off-gets-attacked/

• Like 1

The bumper sticker "Jesus is Real" always makes me laugh. You don't see "Gravity is Real' bumper stickers because we can test it every second and show the effect. "Air is Real" in the same way. "Mom and Dad are Real" But believers have to keep telling themselves that the imaginary friend is in total control, even when he obviously isn't and always has a "better plan, just keep trusting". 

There are times when I have to remind myself that some things (usually irrational fears) aren't real, but typically I don't need slogans or stickers to tell me which things are real.

Another sticker I see a lot locally is one I call the Heki  "HE>i" (He is greater than I, and the i is lowercase to get in some extra groveling). Again, you need a reminder that your imaginary buddy is really there and totally in control and can be trusted. It really isn't obvious to you. Daily reality checks are kept at bay by such reminders. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

" And they double down on the lie because of pride, and they are angry because they want to blame the person telling the truth than the one who told the lie that prompted the truth to expose the lie,”

Huh???

• Like 1

I'm always surprised by Christians hating on Santa.  The guy is a consolidation of a few figures, all of who are Christians celebrating Jesus.  There is the story of the old guy up North, he spent his days carving wooden toys, then once a year rode into town to celebrate Jesus's bday by giving pressies to the kids.  Or the Saint who wanted to help people but not reveal himself, so dropped valuables into their stockings hung out to dry.  Just nice people doing good things for others, and you blend these stories together and get a jolly old guy who celebrates Christmas.  He's not stealing Jesus's thunder, he's a literal Christian Saint who is trying to bring people to that belief.  Christians should love Santa.

The funny thing is that Santa is real, not the exact image we have, but the holiday joy, giving of presents and goodwill parts of the story.  Even the sleigh and reindeer is quite possible, with such things being used in Scandanavian countries, and the term flying can be used to simply mean moving quickly.  An old guy with a long white beard, carrying a sack of toys, while riding a sleigh pulled by reindeer that "flew" over the snow, is all mundane and quite plausible.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

"X" is the first letter in the Greek spelling of "christ," so X-mas literally is keeping "christ" in Christmas.  But they gotta be angry at something; and ignorance is as good a reason as any.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Fuego said:

You don't see "Gravity is Real' bumper stickers

Sounds like a business opportunity.

Here's one from Dan Barker:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/652670170969065905/

(And there are more fun things on that page.....)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I actually expected someone to bring up relativity and how gravity isn't real but apparent. 😁 I gave up trying to grasp that approach.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Fuego said:

I actually expected someone to bring up relativity and how gravity isn't real but apparent. 😁 I gave up trying to grasp that approach.

Hope you and your wife are buckled up tight for the series of atmospheric rivers heading our way brother. 

Yep! Just cleaned the gutters last weekend. Other than that, I'm all for the rain. After the heat dome and then a recent dry period, the soaking is welcome. More mushrooms!

53 minutes ago, Fuego said:

Yep! Just cleaned the gutters last weekend. Other than that, I'm all for the rain. After the heat dome and then a recent dry period, the soaking is welcome. More mushrooms!

I hear ya! It's been very cold here so the rain is helping to warm things up. 

I have only found Morels in Eastern Oregon. Do they grow out west here? 

Along the Columbia Gorge, especially after the Eagle Creek fire (that the idiot with the fireworks started), friends said there were thousands. I haven't been out in that area except near Stevenson and Skamania on the other shore.

18 minutes ago, Fuego said:

Along the Columbia Gorge, especially after the Eagle Creek fire (that the idiot with the fireworks started), friends said there were thousands. I haven't been out in that area except near Stevenson and Skamania on the other shore.

I lived in the Blue Mountains out east. Elevation almost 4,000 feet. Toward the end of my stay there I found them in my front yard! I was excited as hell about that but didn't think they could make it this far west. 

And yes, traveling the Gorge is one of my favorite things to do here! I was hysterically pissed off about the fireworks idiot. My beloved Columbia Gorge.........asshole! 

But then there's that beloved harvest instead....so it's not a loss....completely....😒