Goodbye Jesus

The church of methamphetamine

older

According to a story in today's news, some folks were living in the children's Sunday school room of a Lutheran church in the Central California town of Mariposa and using it and the church kitchen as a base for selling meth.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/4-arrested-possession-of-meth-in-mariposa-church-officials-say/ar-AA1ldGsF

Now that is really doing th Lords work!

Interesting they didn't mention if they were church staff, or anything about who the people were.  Or hardly anything else about the situation.

I just find it interesting that churches where the holy spirit is supposedly moving strongly in a congregation aren't being guided into all truth by that spirit.  Unless the tip off about the meth came via the third person of the godhead?

Seriously tho', this headline made me think of two other examples where the holy spirit SHOULD HAVE lead true believers to the truth, thus saving lives.

Dennis Rader - Wikipedia

Rader was a member of Christ Lutheran Church in Wichita and had been elected president of the church council.

Rader kept his sexual proclivities well-hidden, and he was widely regarded in his community as "normal, polite, and well mannered"

The lives of how many women could have been spared if the holy spirit had guided the members to the truth about Rader?  

Jim Jones - Wikipedia

Over 900 people died thanks to the good Reverend Jones.  Why was the holy spirit silent in the run up to this catastrophe?  Where was his still, small voice when it was needed?  

I suppose the usual T's and C's apply, absolving him of any responsibility or blame. 

None of the 'Christians' at Rader's church or in Jones' community were real Christians.  Therefore the holy spook couldn't warn them. 

Or, if they were real Christians, then they lacked sufficient faith (as per Matthew 9 : 29) for them to hear what the spirit wanted to tell them.

No doubt, if I were to perform even a quick search, many other examples of the silence of the lambs spirit would be flagged up.

Walter.

(Umm... sorry if I've dragged this thread off topic, Older.  These things just came to my mind on reading your post.)

• Super Moderator
23 minutes ago, walterpthefirst said:

Umm... sorry if I've dragged this thread off topic, Older.  These things just came to my mind on reading your post.

Perhaps the spirit was leading you?

3 hours ago, walterpthefirst said:

Rader kept his sexual proclivities well-hidden, and he was widely regarded in his community as "normal, polite, and well mannered"

I have breakfast occasionally at a resturant 2 blocks from where Rader lived.  He studied criminal justice in college, but the closest he came to using it was being a code enforcer and dog catcher for the city.  Some of the locals saw him as a weird guy who was obsessed with following the rules and getting things "just right".  Therefore his position at the church.  And his extreme planning and doing things "just right" in his torture and killing is what kept him from getting caught for decades.

So beware of people who are obsessed with getting it "just right" for God. 😁

21 hours ago, older said:

According to a story in today's news, some folks were living in the children's Sunday school room of a Lutheran church in the Central California town of Mariposa and using it and the church kitchen as a base for selling meth.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/4-arrested-possession-of-meth-in-mariposa-church-officials-say/ar-AA1ldGsF

Terrible ! As much as I think religion is a joke, I don't think any major religion would approve of this. Meth, like heroine, upon years of use, can permanently destroy lives and lessen some peoples mental abilities (I.Q's) permanently, even after recovery and abstinence. Many studies of animals and humans attest to this sad fact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pantheory said:

Terrible ! As much as I think religion is a joke, I don't think any major religion would approve of this. 

I agree.  I have seen several churches since the covid shutdown that are only the shell of a church.  The buildings stand mostly empty and a preacher comes in on sunday and gives a service to a handfull of people.  Church officials may not have known what was going on.

1 hour ago, Weezer said:

Church officials may not have known what was going on.

Importantly, the story does not mention how long the people were living there. It could be that they had just been there for a couple of days. I can see a situation where the church thought they were helping some folks and 48 hours later, this happens.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, older said:

Importantly, the story does not mention how long the people were living there. It could be that they had just been there for a couple of days. I can see a situation where the church thought they were helping some folks and 48 hours later, this happens.

And yet, in the bible, people were informed of things that they couldn't possibly have known about by the holy spirit.

And the spirit always works in complete harmony with the son, bringing healing to those who need it.

The blind are given sight, the deaf receive the power of hearing, the lame walk and the poor are fed.

All by the power of the holy spirit working through the church, which is the body of Christ on Earth.

Funny thing is, the spirit always seems to work REACTIVELY, putting right what has already happened.

He never seems to work PROACTIVELY, preventing hurt and harm that will happen in the future.

So I suppose PREVENTING harm by informing Christians about mass murderers in their midst just isn't in his job spec.

Yep, that would explain much.

🤮

• Like 1