Goodbye Jesus

The good I found in the faith

Fuego

Today while talking with my sister, I heard about some rather monstrous evil one of my brothers enjoyed for years while pretending otherwise. I told her that I saw a pattern in our family line of different kinds of horrible behaviors, and that I think because I ran to serious Christianity when I was still young that it had a positive influence on my life overall. I was 16 when I joined a church and was suddenly among some pretty nice folks who treated a long haired teen kindly and I quickly found some kindred friends. I learned a lot of how to live by being around these folks and by the introspection that the scriptures caused. Even if the introspection was faulty and based on tribal taboos and ooga-boogas, it taught me to look at my motivations and drives and to not just take them at face value. Then once I left the faith, I retained the concept of being kind and continuing to look inside at things I've believed that are false. I want to continue to choose to be kind and good, and break the family patterns of being awful. I think I am so far, but it's always a choice. 

• Like 4

I also had a good experience (overall) in the 40 years of being christian.  Most of the people there were good and well meaning people.  The doctrine not "adding up" started my questioning.  And a study of the history of God and religion brought me to the conclusion that the faith was built on man made stories.  Not God's word.  But the idea of loving neighbor as self is solid advice for making this a better world.

2 hours ago, Fuego said:

I want to continue to choose to be kind and good, and break the family patterns of being awful. I think I am so far, but it's always a choice. 

Is there something you are wrestling with at this time?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Weezer said:

Is there something you are wrestling with at this time?

No, not a character trait as much as inherited anxiety, and I've found a way to mitigate that so I can pursue my singing hobby. But the learned behaviors from growing up are what I analyze now to avoid being a toxic person.