Goodbye Jesus

How to be grateful without God?

kingbr19

I find myself, when I am excited about loving my family, my brain kind of automatically goes 'thank you God'.  Or even when things go well, or its a beautiful day 'thank you God'.  I hate doing it because I dont believe that anymore and it takes the appreciation from where it belongs.  Like if I do a good thing or am proud of myself sometimes it goes.  Like why arent I good enough? How do I be grateful for life without God? 

2 hours ago, kingbr19 said:

I find myself, when I am excited about loving my family, my brain kind of automatically goes 'thank you God'.  Or even when things go well, or its a beautiful day 'thank you God'.  I hate doing it because I dont believe that anymore and it takes the appreciation from where it belongs.  Like if I do a good thing or am proud of myself sometimes it goes.  Like why arent I good enough? How do I be grateful for life without God? 

After fifteen years as a non-theist/atheist (and after over fifty years a christian) I still find myself doing it. I'm now able to shrug it off and, if there is no 'target' at which to direct my thanks, I am just thankful.

Also, I don't blame god for tragedies; there's always a human or natural reason.

Welcome to the world of ex-christians.

• Super Moderator

The important thing here is that you are grateful.  That, in and of itself, is an awesome ability to have, especially for survivors of religion and the abuse, manipulation, coercion, and disillusionment that often come with it.  I know it's aggravating to thank "god" out of habit and instinct; but your focus should instead be on your gratitude.  Who, or what, you express it to is secondary to the expression. 

If you would like to retrain yourself, take a moment each time you feel grateful to consider who or what you are grateful for.  Really think it through.  Hold your gratitude like an object or gift in your mind and examine it closely, thoroughly.  Then allow it to express itself to whomever or whatever is most appropriate.